Priyadarshan's Hera Pheri is one of classics in the comedy genre. Both the 2000 Hindi remake and 1989 Malayalam original, Ramji Rao Speaking, regaled audiences and won over critics with its comic timing.
But not many know that the 2000 film starring Suniel Shetty, Akshay Kumar, Paresh Rawal and Tabu was never planned. Here are few interesting facts about the film:
- Hera Pheri producer Firoz Nadiadwala had signed on Sanjay Dutt, Akshay Kumar, Paresh Rawal and Tabu for an action film titled Raftaar. However, Dutt opted out of the film due to creative differences with Nadiadwala.
- Dutt was then replaced by Suniel Shetty. Shetty even shot a prolonged action schedule with Akshay Kumar, Tabu and the team.
- After the first schedule, Nadiadwala realised that action entertainers were not working at the Box Office and that recovery might be a tough task.
- Nadiadwala decided to shelve the project. But he realised that he had signed all the actors - who had locked their dates for his project. He acquired the Hindi remake rights of Malayalam blockbuster, Ramji Rao Speaking - the film which would go on to be remade as Hera Pheri.
- But the troubles did not end there. Nadiadwala felt that the buyers would not be interested in his film. Keeping that in mind, the producer took Akshay Kumar to Dubai - where they shot two songs for the film in a bid to add to the film's appeal.
- Hera Pheri did not open well at the Box Office. Thankfully, the positive word of mouth surrounding the film resulted in the film being declared a Hit!
- And to think that Bollywood may have missed out on Hera Pheri - which today finds its name on just about every list of Bollywood's best comedies.
Watch the song Jab Bhi Koi Haseena Dekhu song from Hera Pheri shot in Dubai. If you thought this song looked a wee bit out of place in the film, you now know why!