Former Madhya Pradesh CM Sunderlal Patwa passes away at 92
On 28 December, veteran Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and twice Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Sunderlal Patwa breathed his last at a private hospital in Bhopal. He was 92.
Patwa had served as Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh for a brief period of two months in 1980, and for a period of two years from 1990-1992. He was also considered Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Chouhan's political mentor.
He was elected to the Lok Sabha in 1997 after a by-poll, but lost in the 1998 general elections.
In 1999, Patwa was elected to the Lok Sabha and became a minister in the NDA government from 1999 to 2001.
Kalmadi, Chautala as IOA lifetime presidents will dent India's image: Ajay Maken
Disapproving the Indian Olympic Association's decision to name Suresh Kalmadi and Abhay Chautala as lifetime presidents, former sports minister Ajay Maken, on 28 December, said this is not good for sports as well as India's image and asked incumbent Vijay Goel to initiate action to end this mess.
"The decision of IOA of making them life time presidents is not good for sports and for India's image. I don't understand as to what kind of message they want to portray by making them the life time presidents," Maken told the media.
"When we talk about sports and emotions related to sports, it should be very pure. If they want to clean this mess then they have to rise above politics and do it," he added.
The Congress leader further said the countdown of bad days for Indian sports has begun post this irrational decision.
Chennai: Sasikala Pushpa's lawyer attacked by AIADMK cadres
Suspended All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) MP Sasikala Pushpa's lawyer was on Wednesday attacked by the party cadres.
The incident took place when four lawyers of Pushpa's team had gone to the AIADMK headquarters to submit a letter.
Pushpa who filed a petition in Supreme Court, demanding a probe into the death of J. Jayalalithaa, had earlier said that proper inquiry should be done as the people of the state want to know the actual reason behind the death of the former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister.
Demonetisation: Delhi government directs employers to pay workers via cheque, online
In a bid to promote digital transactions, the Delhi government has directed all employers and contractors in the city to pay wages to their workers either electronically or through cheques. The Labour Department of the Delhi government has issued an advisory asking all contractors and employers to adopt these mode of payment to disburse wages to their workers.
"All employers and contractors have been asked to pay wages to their workers either electronically or through cheque," said a senior government official. "Digital payments are being adopted and promoted as these are less time consuming, transparent, inexpensive, user-friendly and convenient. It is our collective endeavour to promote digital payments," the advisory stated.
- Bastar crackdown continues: Now Bela Bhatia is threatened, told to leave
- TN Assembly passes law for Jallikattu, protest turns violent before ending
- Bhangor unrest: How CPM is trying to give Mamata a taste of her own medicine
- Pandits sceptical about J&K Assembly resolution, doubt Omar's sincerity
- Protestors now disrupt Jallikattu; two men gored to death in Pudukottai
- Man Booker winner Paul Beatty: I had teachers who told me to stop writing
- Jack the Ripper & why he was never nabbed: Bruce Robinson rips apart the Freemasons
- Zuni Chopra turns author at just 15 with debut novel 'The House that Spoke'
- We should have moved from British Raj to Hindu Raj: Saeed Naqvi
- Fries before guys: 3 women and a dream to be Delhi's ultimate fries destination
- Oldies in ODIs a 'regressive' move? Yuvraj and Dhoni hit that thought for six
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- The Trump era has begun - how can we make sense of it?
- Donald Trump moves from 'I' to 'We' as he's sworn in as USA's 45th President
- In pictures: Donald Trump is officially the world's most powerful man
- From New Deal to the art of the deal: how the neoliberal project led to Trump
- What you missed at the Make America Great Again! Welcome Celebration Concert