Speed News Desk | Updated on: 3 August 2015, 12:19 IST
Three policemen wanted in a 32-year-old case that alleged a fake encounter with the brother of former BSP MLA Udaybhan Singh were arrested on 2 August.
- The police had had killed Devendra Pratap Singh, brother of Udaybhan Singh, in an alleged fake encounter in 1982.
- Five years later, a case of murder was filed in Gopiganj police station, Uttar Pradesh, against 20 policemen, including two inspectors and two sub-inspectors, all of whom were absconding, said Anil Rai, Superintendent of Police.
The arrested trio
- The three arrested policemen are Malkhan Singh, Phool Chand and Manzoor Ahmed. Efforts are being made to arrest the remaining culprits.
Who is Udaybhan Singh?
- Udaybhan Singh is a former Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and Samajwadi Party (SP) MLA who was disqualified by former UP governor TV Rajeswar under Section 8 (4) of the Representation of the People's Act, 1951.
- He is presently undergoing a life sentence in a triple murder case.
(with inputs from PTI)