On 24 May, Sarbananda Sonowal was sworn in as the first-ever Bharatiya Janata Party Chief Minister of Assam.
The swearing-in function, held at Guwahati's Khanapara field, was attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Among the attendees at the historic event were chief ministers of BJP-ruled states including Vasundhara Raje, Parkash Singh Badal, Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Chandrababu Naidu, Anandiben Patel, Raman Singh and Raghubar Das.
Senior BJP leaders LK Advani, Amit Shah, Rajnath Singh, Ram Vilas Paswan, Nitin Gadkari, Ananth Kumar, VK Singh were also present at the swearing-in ceremony.
Former Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi shared the stage with NDA leaders.
The 11 ministers in the new Sonowal-led state cabinet are:
1. Parimal Shukla Vaidya, from Barak Valley
2. Chandra Mohan Patowary, former AGP President
3. Keshab Mahanta, Senior AGP leader
4. Himanta Biswa Sarma, BJP's campaign chief and former Congress strategist
5. Pramila Rani Brahma, BPF leader
6. Pallab Lochan Das, Congress rebel
7. Rabiram Narzary, BPF leader
8. Naba Kumar Doley, AGP leader
9. Rihon Daimari, BPF leader
10. Ranjit Dutta, BJP leader
11. Atul Bora, AGP leader