Ilayathalapathy Vijay's Theri, the only Tamil blockbuster of 2016, has successfully completed its 100-day theatrical run today.
The Atlee-directorial action-thriller was released on 14 April, 2016 on Tamil New Year. The movie opened to houseful shows in almost all cinemas in Chennai. It was a huge hit at the Kerala Box Office as well. The film has been praised for its smart direction and performances of the leading cast, Vijay, Samantha and Baby Nainika.
On it's 100th day, here are a few interesting facts about the action-thriller:
1) Theri collected a record-breaking Rs 4 crore at the Chennai Box Office to see the highest four-day opening weekend ever in Chennai.
2) Theri has collected a massive Rs 3.30 crore on its opening day to become the highest opener ever for a film in Kerala.
3) The Tamil film industry produced more than 75 plus films in 2016 so far and Theri is the only film which achieved Blockbuster status. The film is still running in limited screens in Tamil Nadu and has so far collected Rs 178 crore at the Box Office. Theri will end it's Box Office run as the second biggest hit of Vijay after Thuppakki.
4) Theri is the highest non-Malayalam grosser of 2016 at the Kerala Box Office. The film has minted Rs 19.75 crore in Kerala and also the third highest grosser in Kerala after Malayalam films Jacobinte Swargarajyam and King Liar.5) Theri has collected a massive Rs 3.30 crore on its opening day to become the highest opener ever for a film in Kerala. It recorded the highest opening weekend ever with collections of Rs 9.85 crore. On Monday afternoon, the film had crossed the coveted Rs 10 crore mark at the Kerala Box Office. The Ilayathalapthy-starrer easily surpassed the lifetime business of his previous blockbusters Thuppakki and Kaththi (both Rs 10 crore plus grossers) in just five days.
6) Theri is the fastest ever Tamil film to cross the Rs 100 crore mark worldwide. It crossed the century mark in just six days by beating Ajith's Vedalam record of eight days.
7) With Theri, Vijay has equalled megastar Rajinikanth's record (three Rs 100 crore films) of the maximum number of Rs 100 crore films in Tamil cinema.
8) Vijay's character's name in Theri was also Vijay and is the superstar's 9th film to have his real name as his character's name. And except for the 2015 release, Puli, nine of his last 10 films were clean hits at the Box Office.
9) Theri was producer Kalaipuli S Thanu's first big budget film of 2016 and interestingly his second magnum-opus, the Rajinikanth-starrer, Kabali released today, on the 100th day of Vijay's blockbuster.
10) Bollywood superstar Akshay Kumar is planning to remake Theri in Hindi under his banner Hari Om Entertainment. The actor has earlier acquired the rights of Vijay's Thuppakki and Kaththi.