A Muslim family was attacked last month on Holi evening by a mob of over 40 men barged into the home armed with swords and lathis in Gurugram. The family on Monday reportedly threatened of mass suicide alleging that the Police is pressurising them to withdraw the FIR. The family alleged that the police were not taking action under “influence” of local politicians.
On 23rd March, the incident soared after boys of the family, who were playing cricket outside were asked by some men to ‘go to Pakistan’ and play. After which over 40 persons pelted stones at the house of Mhd Akhtar in Bhup Singh Nagar area. The attack was captured on a mobile phone by one of the victims and the video had gone viral on social media. A person has been arrested in the case and an FIR has been registered.
“The matter is now in public domain as the video of the assault went viral on the internet. Still, the police have failed to arrest over 35 goons. If the Gurugram Police and the district administration do not help us, we have no option but to commit mass suicide,” Akhtar said.
The Gurugram family has also submitted a memorandum to the sub-divisional magistrate of Sohna and urged for the prompt action in the case and if justice is not delivered, they would commit mass suicide.
“We are the victims of the incident but Gurugram Police has registered an FIR against two men of our family in a bid to pressure us,” Akhtar said.
However, the police said it was not favouring anyone. “We have so far arrested 13 persons and a hunt is on to arrest the others. There is no point of favouring anyone. Both groups were involved in an altercation,” Himanshu Garg, deputy commissioner of police (DCP), said.