Anirban Lahiri created history on Sunday, 16 August, when he finished tied fifth at the PGA Masters in Whistling Straits, Wisconsin, the highest ever finish by an Indian at a golf major. In the process, Lahiri ensured his progression to a career high world ranking of 38, a jump of 15 places from his last position. Having won two titles earlier this year, Lahiri has now firmly established himself as the best golfer in the country.
Here is a look at some interesting facts about the Indian golf sensation:
- Anirban Lahiri first learned playing golf from his father, who was a physician employed with the Armed Forces.
- He turned professional in the year 2007, and joined the Asian Tour in 2008, finishing 111th on the Asian Tour Order of Merit in his first year.
- He won his first title in 2011, when he won the Panasonic Open in Delhi.
- From 2012, he has won at least one international event every year, taking his overall title tally in the Asian Tour to 7 this year.
- In 2014, he was awarded the Arjuna Award for his outstanding performances in the sport. He is the eight golfer to receive the award.
- In the same year in May, he married his long-time girlfriend Ipsa Jamwal.
- Lahiri is a big fan of golf legend Tiger Woods.
- Before taking up the sport seriously, Lahiri had also pursued squash for a few years.
- Prior to his fifth place finish at Whistling Straits, his best performance at a major had been a tied 31st place at the 2012 British Open.
- Lahiri has credited his improved form in recent years to regular Vipassana practice.