At least five people died and several were injured in a fire caused by an LPG cylinder blast in Bhungra village in the Jodhpur district of Rajasthan. According to the police, the cylinder exploded in a house where the guest had gathered for a wedding ceremony.
The explosion was so intense that a portion of the house collapsed due to the impact. The police said that some of the injured sustained 80-100 percent burns. Among the deceased, two were children.
Earlier, District Collector Himanshu Gupta informed that 42 people out of the 60 injured were referred to MGH hospital for treatment.
“It's a very serious accident. 42 people out of the 60 injured were referred to MGH hospital. Treatment is going on,” Gupta said, as quoted by ANI.
"Four people died in the fire at a house that was caused when a gas cylinder exploded in Bhungra village of Jodhpur," he added.
The death toll rose to five as another victim succumbed to injuries.
Bridegroom Surendra Singh’s house was packed with guests and food was being prepared for them. A cooking gas that was kept in the store room of the house, caught fire following a leak and exploded, said Jodhpur (Rural) Superintendent of Police (SP) Anil Kayal as quoted by PTI.
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot expressed his condolences over the loss of lives and directed district authorities to provide the best possible treatment to the injured.
Further details are awaited.