Indians have been injured in clashes and their shops have been attacked in Congo, the government said today. This is seen as a backlash of the incident where a 23-year-old Congolese national was allegedly beaten to death by a group of men in South Delhi's Vasant Kunj area, on 20 May.
"Some shops of Indians in Congo have been attacked and some Indians have been injured by gunshots, possibly in reaction to the murder of the Congolese student in Delhi," External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarup was quoted as saying by NDTV.
There are around 5,000 Indians in the country.
NDTV aired a video of an Indian shopkeeper being led away by police for protection while a large number of people were heard shouting in the background in Congo capital Kinshasa. Indians have been asked to keep their shops closed.
African nations, in a protest, had also announced their decision to boycott Africa Day celebrations in Delhi after the killing of Masonda Ketada Olivier earlier this month.
According to NDTV, heads of missions of African states had asked the government to put off the Africa Day event today, saying that India must solve the problem of "racism and Afro-phobia" first.
The government has tried to reassure the African officials even as External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted on Thursday that India was committed to the safety and security of African nationals in India.
The African envoys said with the "pervading climate of fear and insecurity", they may recommend their governments not to send new students to India unless their safety is guaranteed.
African diplomats said several attacks have gone unresolved "without diligent prosecution" and the government must take urgent steps to guarantee the safety of Africans, reported NDTV.