PM Narendra Modi to hold bilateral talks with Portuguese PM Antonio Costa today
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will today hold talks with his Portuguese counterpart Antonio Costa, who is on a seven-day visit to India, here in the national capital.
The two leaders will discuss the entire gamut of bilateral relations. Agreements in different fields are also expected to be inked after the talks. Later in the day, he would also be holding official talks with President Pranab Mukherjee and Vice-President Hamid Ansari.
The Portuguese Prime Minister will be accorded a ceremonial reception at the forecourts of the Rashtrapati Bhavan this morning.
The visiting dignitary will attend the 'Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas' as the chief guest in Bengaluru, and will also participate in few business events. He will attend the 'Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit' in Gandhinagar on Tuesday.
US: 5 dead as gunman opens fire at Fort Lauderdale airport in Florida
At least five persons have been shot dead and eight others injured when a gunman opened fire at US' Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida, the latest mass shooting incident to rock the country.
The 26-year-old suspect, identified as Esteban Santiago, was taken into custody. His motive was not immediately known.
A Iraq war veteran, Santiago was discharged from the Alaska Army National Guard last year due to unsatisfactory performance.
Florida's Broward County Sheriff's office said five people were dead and eight had been taken to a nearby hospital.
The shooting took place yesterday in Terminal 2 in the baggage claim area, outside the TSA checkpoint, police said.
ECI seeks Centre's stand on Opposition's Budget delay demand
The Election Commission of India (ECI) has written to Cabinet Secretary Pradeep Kumar Sinha, seeking the Centre's stand on the Opposition's plea to postpone the Budget presentation to a day after 8 March, the last date of polling in Uttar Pradesh.
As per ECI sources, this has been done by the Election Commission as per normal procedure.
This move from the ECI comes just a day after a delegation of Opposition parties met all three Election Commissioners, Naseem Zaidi, OP Rawat and AK Joti.
On Thursday, the Opposition demanded the date for budget presentation be shifted till after the elections.
The Congress, Trinamool Congress (TMC) and others said they were not in favour of 1 February as the start of the budget session.
Tim Cook's salary suffers as iPhone sales slump
Apple CEO Tim Cook's compensation package of $8.7 million for Apple's fiscal year that ended on 24 September was down from $10.3 million the year before. Cook was penalised for the iPhone makers first slump in 15 years.
The company's revenue dropped 8% to $216 billion. The operating profit declined 16% to just $60 billion. This was the first time it sold fewer iPhones since the original one came out in 2007.
Donald Trump: Hacking had no effect on US elections
US President elect Donald Trump once again, on Friday, 6 January, asserted that the purported Russian hacking did not sway the US election. This latest comment comes after a "briefing on an intelligence report that blamed Russia's Vladimir Putin for a cyber campaign to keep Hillary Clinton out of the White House."
Global oceans liftd by 10 cm due to massive ice block breaking off from Antarctica
An ice blook that is nearly 100 times the area of Manhattan is about to break off Antarctica's Larsen C ice shelf. This was reported by scientists on Saturday.
- Kolkata Police, Bengal govt tells public to ignore WhatsApp rumours about masked criminals
- Scenes from a mofussil pub: Small-town India catches up with big cities
- Bastar crackdown continues: Now Bela Bhatia is threatened, told to leave
- TN Assembly passes law for Jallikattu, protest turns violent before ending
- Bhangor unrest: How CPM is trying to give Mamata a taste of her own medicine
- Man Booker winner Paul Beatty: I had teachers who told me to stop writing
- Jack the Ripper & why he was never nabbed: Bruce Robinson rips apart the Freemasons
- Zuni Chopra turns author at just 15 with debut novel 'The House that Spoke'
- We should have moved from British Raj to Hindu Raj: Saeed Naqvi
- Fries before guys: 3 women and a dream to be Delhi's ultimate fries destination
- Oldies in ODIs a 'regressive' move? Yuvraj and Dhoni hit that thought for six
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- India-UAE relations set for boost as Crown Prince Mohammed comes calling
- Beware of those who seem to know what's going on: Robert F Worth on Aleppo
- The Trump era has begun - how can we make sense of it?
- Donald Trump moves from 'I' to 'We' as he's sworn in as USA's 45th President
- In pictures: Donald Trump is officially the world's most powerful man