Bihar: 5 prisoners escape Buxar Jail, police issue high alert
5 prisoners, on 30 December, escaped from Central Jail in Buxar, Bihar following which the police has issued high alert and cordoned off the area. The search for the prisoners is still on, however, according to media reports, there is no progress so far.
The five prisoners have been identified as Pradeep Singh, Sonu Pandey, Upendra Saah, Deodhari Rai and Sonu Singh.
RBI increases withdrawal limit from ATMs to Rs 4500 per day from 1 January
The Reserve Bank, on 30 December said that cash withdrawal limit from ATMs will be increased to Rs 4,500 per day from the current Rs 2,500 from 1 January.
However, there has been no change in the weekly withdrawal limit, which stands at Rs 24,000, including from ATM, for individuals (Rs 50,000 in case of small traders).
"On a review of the position, the daily limit of withdrawal from ATMs has been increased (within the overall weekly limits specified) with effect from January 1, 2017, from the existing Rs 2,500 to Rs 4,500 per day per card," the central bank said in a notification.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi to address nation today
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on 31 December, is likely to address the nation this evening, and according to reports, is expected to spell out the post-demonetisation roadmap.
This will be his second address to the nation since his announcement to scrap 1,000 and 500 rupees notes on 8 November.
While announcing the landmark decision, he had asked the people to give 50 days for demonetisation and getting accustomed to a cashless economy.
Instability in Samajwadi Party worrisome for democracy: Congress
The Congress Party, on 31 December, said that the expulsion of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and National General Secretary Ram Gopal Yadav from the Samajwadi Party is a case of political instability in the state and worrisome for democracy.
"There is a situation of political instability in Uttar Pradesh, it's worrisome for democracy. We don't comment on internal divisions within any political party," said Congress spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala.
"Samajwadi Party needs to settle this dispute on its own. Congress vice-president Rahul ji and Congress leaders have given a new paradigm for UP and that is development that is away from the politics of caste and division," he added.
- Brexit will reshape Europe, but it'll have little impact on India
- In pictures: Is Jallikattu about cruelty or culture?
- Here's how a 25-year-old law grad is helping Delhi's homeless beat the cold
- Malegaon blasts case: ex-cop Mujawar claims ATS actually killed 3 accused
- Jallikattu protests grip Tamil Nadu. But is it really a cruel sport?
- Jaipur Literature Festival 2017 kicks off with songs, Sadhguru & Man Booker winner Paul Beatty
- No women to marry in China, so sex dolls are hugely popular: Mei Fong
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Oldies in ODIs a 'regressive' move? Yuvraj and Dhoni hit that thought for six
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Trump's inauguration merchandise includes chocolate bars, hot sauce and a dog poo bag
- Why we should send Bill Gates to Mars
- Trumpus Andronicus? What the Byzantine Empire can tell us about the rise of populist leaders
- The number of House Democrats boycotting Trump's inauguration just keeps increasing
- 8 men as rich as half the world says Oxfam report. Is there a way to fix this stark inequality?