US shuts Embassy, Consulates in Turkey after shooting outside US Embassy in Ankara
The United States Embassy in Ankara and its Consulates in Istanbul and Adana will remain closed on 20 December as a precaution after an individual approached the Embassy and discharged a firearm, the Embassy said in a statement.
According to reports, the individual who opened fire was in police custody and there were no reported injuries in the incident.
The shooting at the Embassy followed the assassination of Andrey Karlov, who was the Russian ambassador to Turkey. He was shot dead last evening by an off-duty policeman.
Writer charged with sedition on hunger strike against friend's arrest for alleged Maoist links
Writer and theatre activist Kamal C Chavara, who was detained by the Kozhikode police on 18 December for allegedly insulting the national anthem - and later released - went on a hunger strike at the Kozhikode Government Medical College Hospital to protest the arrest of his friend Nadeer Gul Mohammed for suspected links with Maoists.
According to The Hindu, Nadeer was arrest by the Aralam police in Kannur district earlier and a case was registered against him under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) for distributing Maoist pamphlets among Adivasi families.
Demonetisation: BJP leader Sushil Vaswani's residence, office, raided by IT officials in Bhopal
Officials of the Income Tax Department on Tuesday conducted a raid at the office and residence of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP ) leader Sushil Vaswani in Bhopal.
At least 12 IT officials conducted raids at his residence, office and hotel here at around 7 am.
A case of disproportionate assets has come up against Vaswani and officials are also probing a money laundering case against him post the 8 November demonetisation drive.
India-inspired? Pakistan senate wants to withdraw Rs 5,000 notes to curb black money
The Pakistan Senate has passed a resolution that seeks to withdraw high denomination currency notes of Rs 5,000 in an effort to curb the flow of black money in the country.
The move comes after India announced a massive nation-wide demonetisation drive on 8 November, 2016. Currency notes with the denomination of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 were banned overnight.
Tabled by Senator Usman Saif Ullah Khan of Pakistan Muslim League (PML), the resolution was supported by most law makers in the Upper House. The resolution stated that the withdrawal of Rs 5,000 notes will encourage the use of bank accounts and reduce the size of undocumented economy, as reported by The Dawn.
China has returned seized unmanned underwater drone to US, says Pentagon
China has returned the unmanned underwater drone that the Chinese Navy had seized last week, said Pentagon.
The Chinese defence ministry also said that it handed over the underwater glider back to the US in South China Sea after "friendly consultations", according to media reports.
In a statement issued late 19 December, according to an international news agency, Pentagon press secretary Peter Cook said that the Chinese Navy vessel that had seized the drone returned it near the location where it had been taken. The incident had occurred in the South China Sea near the Philippines.
As per reports, Cook also said that the US will continue to investigate the incident.
Will Elon Musk launch 'The Boring Company'?
Billionaire entrepeneur and the man behind Tesla, SpaceX and SolarCity was stuck in knee-deep traffic that anoyed him. His solution to the problem was revealed on Twitter. "Traffic is driving me nuts. Am going to build a tunnel boring machine and just start digging..."
All he needs is a giant machine. To that effect, he wants to call this new company that will be building the tunnels "The Boring Company". "Boring is what we do" he tweeted afterward. Whether or not he makes the company, the world is now talking about tunnels.
Coldplay have written a Christmas song while on tour
Coldplay really loves the idea of spending Christmas in Australia and to show off their love, they have gone and written an original song about it. They've named it "Christmas with the Kangaroos". As Australian as it can get.
The song was first played live during a concert in Sydney on 14 December. It's all about spending the holidays with some beer, sun and having fun.
Uber's loss exceeds $3 billion in 2016
In the third quarter alone, Uber lost more than $800 million and this doesn't even include its Chinese operations that shut down earlier in the year. All this while the company's revenues keep growing. Uber generated $3.76 billion in revenue during the first nine months of the year. All said, it is expected to exceed $5.5 billion in revenue this year according to a Bloomberg article.
World's first Chikungunya vaccine has been developed
US-based researchers have developed a much needed vaccine for chikungunya fever made from an insect-specific virus tht doens't have any effect on people. The vaccine, hence, is safe and effective for use.
- What killed the 6 pilgrims at Ganga Sagar? State says heart attack, PMO tweets stampede
- Moos your daddy and other ways the Indian cow is magical
- Mohandas Modi? As PM replaces Gandhi in calendar, hilarious memes pop up
- J&K new counterinsurgency strategy: spare the locals, kill the foreigners
- In a Goan village, chillies fight back against iron ore mining. But will they survive?
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Om Puri's memory deserves better than the sleazy biography his wife wrote
- Om Puri is finally free of the Chakravyuh we built around his life and death
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Anurag Thakur ousted from his post as BCCI president by Supreme Court
- The number of House Democrats boycotting Trump's inauguration just keeps increasing
- 8 men as rich as half the world says Oxfam report. Is there a way to fix this stark inequality?
- No room for dissent in Pakistan; liberals face risk of being persecuted
- Unverified but explosive dossier on US President-elect Donald Trump released online
- Is Pak silencing dissent? Govt's critics go missing, state hand suspected