BJP releases first list of candidates for upcoming Punjab, Goa assembly polls
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday released the first list of candidates for the upcoming assembly polls in Punjab and Goa.
Union Health Minister J.P. Nadda released the BJP's first list of 17 candidates for Punjab polls and 29 candidates for Goa polls.
In Punjab, out of seventeen candidates, the number of sitting MLAs contesting are five while in Goa the number of sitting MLA contesting are eighteen out of twenty nine.
Punjab will go for polls in a single-phase on 4 February. The date of notification is January 11, the last date of nomination is 18 January, the scrutiny of nomination will take place on 19 January and the withdrawal of candidature will take place on 21 January.
Khanderi, the second Scorpene class submarine with superior stealth launched today
Khanderi, the second Scorpene class submarine that has superior stealth and the ability to launch a crippling attack with torpedoes as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles whilst underwater or on surface, was on 12 January launched at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), in Mumbai.
Union Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre presided over the function to initiate the launch of Khanderi (Yard 11876).
The submarine was launched by the Union minister's wife, Bina Bhamre.
Chief of the Naval Staff, Admiral Sunil Lanba was also present on the occasion when the submarine was separated from the pontoon on which it was assembled.
Sushma Swaraj's warning forces Amazon Canada to drop Indian-Flag themed doormats
After receiving a furious warning from External Affairs minister Sushma Swaraj, Amazon on 11 January removed the Indian flag-themed doormats from its website.
Taking strong exception to Amazon Canada selling such doormats Swaraj had asked the e-retailer to withdraw the products and tender an unconditional apology, failing which no official of Amazon will be granted Indian visa and the ones issued earlier will also be rescinded.
"The item (Indian flag-themed doormats ) is no longer available for sale on the site," said an Amazon spokesperson.
The minister on Wednesday had asked the Indian Embassy to take up the matter with Amazon Canada.
"Indian High Commission in Canada: This is unacceptable. Please take this up with Amazon at the highest level.
Delhi: Sanitation workers continue strike for eighth day outside EDMC demanding pending salary
The strike called by the sanitation workers demanding payment of pending salaries of the last three months entered its eighth day on Thursday.
The sanitation workers, who have gathered outside the East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC) here, said that they would continue with the protest until their demands are not met.
"We haven't got our salaries for the last three months. How will we survive? We are not able to feed our children," said one of the protestors.
Earlier on Wednesday, the agitated staff dumped heaps of garbage at the office of Delhi Assembly Speaker Ram Niwas Goel and in other locations.
The protests by sanitation workers in different parts of East Delhi also created chaos on the roads as they dumped garbage on the way. Roads in major localities such as Kanti Nagar, Jhilmil, Shahdara and Laxmi Nagar have turned into garbage dumps as over 2,000 metric tonnes of waste accumulated in East Delhi over the week.
One lakh people attempt to create five yoga world records in Chhattisgarh
Over one lakh people are attempting to create five yoga world records in Bhilai on Thursday in the presence of yoga guru Baba Ramdev.
Motivating the participants, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh was also seen performing a few yoga exercises.
The endeavour is being taken to celebrate National Youth Day in a healthy way on the 154th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.
Over one lakh people will perform the Surya Namaskar at one place together in an attempt to create the world record.
The participants will also practice several other yoga exercises like Kapal Bhati and Anulom Vilom (breathing exercises) to create yet another world record.
Reliance Jio outdoes it again; Will release a VoLTE feature phone below Rs 1500
Reliance Jio is at it again. It's disrupting the smartphone market by bringing in a low-cost 4G voice over LTE or VoLTE feature phones allowing free calls. This one is expected to come in at under Rs 1,500 and will have both rear and front cameras and all the Jio apps preloaded.
Pluto's moon Charon saving atmosphere from decay
Charon, Pluto's moon, is reducing the loss of atmosphere of the icy dwarf planet. This is done by creating a shield and redirecting much of the solar wind around and away. This comes via a new stufy.
- Bastar crackdown continues: Now Bela Bhatia is threatened, told to leave
- TN Assembly passes law for Jallikattu, protest turns violent before ending
- Bhangor unrest: How CPM is trying to give Mamata a taste of her own medicine
- Pandits sceptical about J&K Assembly resolution, doubt Omar's sincerity
- Protestors now disrupt Jallikattu; two men gored to death in Pudukottai
- Man Booker winner Paul Beatty: I had teachers who told me to stop writing
- Jack the Ripper & why he was never nabbed: Bruce Robinson rips apart the Freemasons
- Zuni Chopra turns author at just 15 with debut novel 'The House that Spoke'
- We should have moved from British Raj to Hindu Raj: Saeed Naqvi
- Fries before guys: 3 women and a dream to be Delhi's ultimate fries destination
- Oldies in ODIs a 'regressive' move? Yuvraj and Dhoni hit that thought for six
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- The Trump era has begun - how can we make sense of it?
- Donald Trump moves from 'I' to 'We' as he's sworn in as USA's 45th President
- In pictures: Donald Trump is officially the world's most powerful man
- From New Deal to the art of the deal: how the neoliberal project led to Trump
- What you missed at the Make America Great Again! Welcome Celebration Concert