Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav on Thursday flagged off Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav's state-wide 'Vikas Rath Yatra', and used the occasion to caution the Centre to follow 'middle path' with Pakistan.
The 'Vikas Rath Yatra' has been organised to convey a message of unity in the ruling party and to discuss the agenda of development and other social welfare schemes ahead of the state Assembly elections.
Akhilesh Yadav will travel 75 km in Lucknow and neighbouring Unnao atop a modified Mercedes bus, which can also be called a Mercedes 'rath' from Lucknow.
The Yatra's route is dotted with hoardings, banners and colourful arches.
According to reports, a cavalcade of over thousands SUVs and trucks will seek to send a message to the party leadership that Akhilesh is the 'most acceptable' face of Samajwadi Party.
- Akhilesh Yadav's vikas rath has developed technical snag. UP chief minister continues the yatra in his car.
- "I thank people of Uttar Pradesh for their support. Indian Army is the bravest in the world. I salute all martyrs. This rally is dedicated to our brave jawans, our defence forces among the best. Prime Minister Narendra Modi should meet families of martyrs" said Mulayam at the event.
"We don't want our jawans to die and don't want a war with Pakistan. We must find a middle path," he added.
- At the function, UP CM Akhilesh Yadav said, "Ye sarkar dobara laane ka samay hai. Logon ne shaazish ki, hum thoda sa dagmagaye hai. Lekin mujhe khushi hai ki naujawaano pe, aise yuva aaye hai jo SP ideology ko aage leke jaaenge. (It's time to form government again in UP. I am proud of the young leaders in SP who will take the ideology of our party ahead)."
He added, "Ek taraf seema pe jaan pe khel ke jawan hume suraksha de rahe hai, wahi jawan aatmahathya bhi kar rahe hai. To ye sochna padega ki desh kiske haath mei hai aur kaha leke ja rahe hai woh log. Ye desh ki rajneeti badalne ka chunaav hai. (Army men are protecting us at the borders when their own life is in danger and they are also committing suicide. Therefore, we have to see who is running the country. It's time to change Indian politics.)"
- At the beginning of the function, Shivpal Yadav said, "Humaara lakshaya hai ki UP mei BJP ki sarkar na bann paaye. Mai Akhilesh Yadav ko bhi shubh kaamnae dena chahata hu ki SP ki sarkar UP mei aaye. (It is our motive that BJP doesn't win the state elections.)"
- Ugly scenes marred the venue of Samajwadi Party's 'Vikas Rath Yatra' in Lucknow as party workers clashed with each other just before the start of the road-show. Several party workers have reportedly sustained injuries in the scuffle.
- Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and party leader Shivpal Singh Yadav are also present at the function in Lucknow.
-With ANI inputs