Speed News Desk | Updated on: 13 February 2017, 3:22 IST
HRD Minister Smriti Irani on 20 July, dismissed allegations that academicians with links to BJP and RSS are being selected for various posts. The Minister also said she was a victim of "selective outrage".
Promotions made during UPA regime
- Pointing the gun towards Congress, Irani said that the academicians including the new Chairman of Indian Council of Historic Research, Y Sudarshan Rao, were, in fact, promoted during the UPA regime.
- Irani said that Rao was made a national professor by the then HRD Minister Arjun Singh.
- She also said that the Chairman of National Book Trust Baldev Sharma was the editor of a daily. "There are several such people appointed by the government who were there during the Congress rule too," Irani said.
On Teesta Setalvad
- Irani rejected contention that Setalvad was her opponent, saying her political opponent was Rahul Gandhi.
- She said Setalvad was dropped from the Central Advisory Board of Education, besides other members nominated during the UPA regime, as it was "right of the present government to pick a new board".