A massive fire broke out at a high rise building near Mahalaxmi Racecourse in south Mumbai on Sunday. At least one died and around 19 people were rushed to the hospital. A 70-year-old woman died in the accident.
As per NDTV reports, the fire occurred on the third floor of the 18-storey Samrat Ashoka building located on Keshavrao Khade Marg in the early hours of Sunday.
An official said, that the fire possibly started in the electrical wiring inside a duct on the third floor and then spread to the wiring right up till the top floor.
"At least 96 residents were stranded in their flats due to the fire and smoke. A rescue operation was launched by the Fire Brigade at 3 am and 50 people from the upper floors were brought down using the staircase. Four others were saved using special devices," the official informed.
The police official said, “those who were rescued were rushed to a nearby hospital as they had inhaled smoke,” he said. Among them, Laxmibai Koli, a 70-year-old woman died during treatment.
The official said that “77 residents were discharged after treatment while 19 are still hospitalised.” The condition of two people, hospitalised are critical.
The blaze was brought under control at 6 am and a probe has been launched. Initial investigations reveal that the fire started due to short circuit, the official said.
(With ANI inputs)