At the Samajwadi Party meeting on 24 October, party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav appealed to his son, Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh and his brother, Shivpal Yadav, to sort out their differences and work together.
After backing Shivpal unconditionally, Mulayam attacked the chief minister and said, "I tell Akhilesh things but he focuses on other things, abusing people does not help."
Mulayam's comments enraged Akhilesh and a heated argument broke out between the father-son duo after which the SP chief said, "Aapka mukhyamantri jhooth bolta hai (Your CM is lying)."
Here are the highlights of Mulayam's speech at the meeting at the party headquarters:
- "I feel really sad because of this rift in our family. We have worked really hard to form this party".
- "Instead of fighting our weaknesses we are fighting among ourselves".
- "Some ministers are just busy being sycophants. And people who can't think big can't be a minister".
- "I am not a weak person, even to this day. Do not think that the youth is not with me".
- "If you can't face criticism, you can't be a leader".
- "I will never forget the work Shivpal has done for me and Samajwadi Party".
- "Drunkards, goons have been added to the party. You get some power and it goes to your head. Shivpal Yadav is leader of the masses".
- "I tell Akhilesh things but he focuses on other things; abusing people does not help".
- "I can't leave Amar Singh or Shivpal Yadav. All of Amar Singh's sins are forgiven".
- "Look at PM Modi, he became PM with dedication & struggle. He comes from a poor family, says he can't leave his mother".