Home » national news » Kashmir unrest: Curfew extended after death toll rises to 51

Kashmir unrest: Curfew extended after death toll rises to 51

News Agencies | Updated on: 11 February 2017, 7:53 IST

On 3 August, the curfew was extended to more areas of Kashmir Valley to maintain law and order in view of violent protests on 2 August that led to the death of a youth in Pulwama district and injuries to several others.

Curfew remained in force in five police station areas of the old city and was extended to Batamaloo, Shaheedgunj, Soura, Zadibal, Qamarwari and Bemina areas of the city as a precautionary measure, a police official said.

He said that curfew was also imposed in the Khanpora area of Baramulla district and Awanitpora and Pampore in Pulwama district while Anantnag town in south Kashmir also continued to remain under curfew.

"There are restrictions on the assembly of four or more people under Section 144 CrPC in rest of Kashmir," he added. Meanwhile, the body of an ATM security guard was found outside a hospital.

"The body of Reyaz Ahmad, which bore a big perforation in the abdomen, was found outside SMHS Hospital," a police official said.

He said while it was not clear how the youth had died and that a postmortem was underway to ascertain the cause of his death. The deceased was a resident of Bagiyas area of the city.

Also Read:Jammu & Kashmir: Separatists call for strike till 5 August, restrictions continue

Normal life remained affected for the 26th consecutive day in the Valley due to the curbs imposed by the authorities and separatist sponsored strike against the killing of civilians during clashes which erupted in the wake of killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter on 8 July.

Schools, colleges, business establishments, banks and private offices remained closed while public transport remained off roads. Attendance in government offices was also thin, the official said.

Mobile Internet services continued to remain snapped in the entire Valley where postpaid mobile telephony services have been restored across all networks. The incoming facility on prepaid connections has also been restored, but outgoing calls are barred on such numbers. The separatist camp has extended the shutdown call in Kashmir till 5 August, calling for a march to Hazratbal shrine on Friday.


First published: 3 August 2016, 1:32 IST