Home » national news » At least 1 dead, as multi-storey building collapses in Bengaluru. Rescue ops underway
 
SPEED NEWS

At least 1 dead, as multi-storey building collapses in Bengaluru. Rescue ops underway

Speed News Desk | Updated on: 5 October 2016, 17:29 IST

One person was killed, and several others are feared trapped in the debris, as a five storey building in Bengaluru reportedly collapsed on 5 October. 5 people have been rescued from under the debris so far.

One body has been recovered so far, officials said, as the rescue operations carried out by the State Disaster Response Force are underway.

The incident took place in Bengaluru's Bellandur area, which falls under the jurisdiction of the HSR Layout Police Station.

"Four persons escaped, four are suspected trapped. One of them was rescued by our rescuers alive," Director General of Police, Fire and Emergency Services, M N Reddi said in a tweet.

Bengaluru Mayor G Padmavati visited the spot and said quality issues in the construction was the main reason for the mishap.

Stating that one entire floor was constructed in an unauthorised manner, she said "strict and merciless action will be taken against the owner, architect and Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike officials involved".

Reports suggest the owner of the building had been issued a permit to construct only two floors, but instead he went ahead and erected a five storey building, leading to this mishap.

According to some TV reports, however, the building was seven storeys tall.

While initial reports did not have any information on casualties, primary investigation has revealed that at least 10 workers are trapped in the debris of the collapsed building, and about eight are feared to have lost their lives.

Rescue teams have reached the spot, and attempts to retrieve people trapped in the debris are ongoing.

--with agency inputs

First published: 5 October 2016, 17:29 IST
 
PREVIOUS STORY
NEXT STORY