Minutes after the final draft of Assam's National Register of Citizens (NRC) was released, Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Monday assured that no coercive action would be taken against those whose names are not mentioned in the final draft.
Nearly 40 lakh people in Assam are not in the draft list of the NRC, which has been updated for the first time since 1951, to account for illegal migration from nearby Bangladesh.
Talking to ANI regarding the same, Rajnath said, "Even someone whose name is not in the final draft can approach the foreigner's tribunal. No coercive action will be taken against anyone, hence there is no need for anyone to panic."
"Some people are unnecessarily trying to create an atmosphere of fear. This is a completely impartial report. No misinformation should be spread. This is a draft and not the final draft ," he added.
Meanwhile, Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju assured that this is just a draft and that the final list is yet to be out.
"The NRC issue is being completely updated under the supervision of the Supreme Court. The apex court is monitoring the process of NRC and the Government of Assam and Centre is taking steps to ensure that the law and order situation in Assam is maintained," Rijiju told reporters here.
"The Chief Minister of Assam has already made an appeal to all the citizens not to get influenced by rumors or fake news. This is a draft publication, there is a provision for petition. This is not the final draft only a draft list, those who think that they have been left out will have an opportunity to make an appeal," he added.
Rijiju asserted that just on the basis of the draft publication, one cannot make a final conclusion in the matter. He further said that no one should make politics out of this.
Earlier in the day, the final draft of Assam's NRC was released amid tight security, incorporating names of 2.89 crore people out of 3.29 crore applicants while the names of 40.07 lakh people have been left out.