Home » international news » Kabul attack: More than 50 killed in suicide bomb blast
 

Kabul attack: More than 50 killed in suicide bomb blast

Speed News Desk | Updated on: 16 August 2018, 11:41 IST

In another attack, more than 50 people killed in a suicide attack which happened in an education centre in Kabul on Wednesday, as per a government official.

It has been reported that victims were teenagers who were studying English.

However, no immediate claim of responsibility has been reported so far for the blast.

According to reports, 67 people were wounded in the incident, Wahid Majroh, a spokesman for the Ministry of Public Health, said.

The attack on the Maw'ood education centre in Dasht e Barchi area of the Afghan capital came at 4 p.m. local time (7.30 a.m. ET), Kabul police spokesman Hashmat Stanikzai said.

Afghans mourn a victim of the deadly suicide bombing.

UNICEF, the UN agency that aids the world's most disadvantaged children, expressed alarm over the attack.

Also Read: Top 10 best cities to live in the world; Vienna crowned most livable one

"UNICEF is gravely concerned about the growing violence across Afghanistan, especially over the past week, where children continue to be the hardest hit," UNICEF Executive Director Henrietta Fore said in a statement.

Also Read: Crime in Church: More than 300 priests in Pennsylvania Catholic Church accused of child sex abuse

"Today's direct attack on an English language class in Kabul, which killed or critically injured dozens of children aged between the ages of 16 and 18, is deplorable," the statement said.

"This violence must stop. UNICEF continues to call on all parties to the conflict to adhere to and respect humanitarian principles and ensure the safety and protection of all children. Children are not, and must never be the target of violence."

Read More On Catch: Sexual Exploitation: 30 men and a woman charged with rape and trafficking of girls

First published: 16 August 2018, 11:41 IST
 
NEXT STORY