To view next image, click on the next button.
Tolerance to sexism is so deeply internalised by women around the world that more often than not we don't even raise an eyebrow to sexist comments. We are so used to hearing sexist remarks like - 'Look at that maniac driving in front. Must be a woman driver,' or 'A woman's primary job is to start a family' or 'if you get too old, no one will want to marry you,' so on and so forth. Most women, unfortunately, have been conditioned to not even flinch at these.
We live with double standards based solely on gender, which restrict women's freedom and impair our ability to lead secure, independent lives.
Our society tutors us that there's a hierarchy between genders and that we must accept it as the gospel truth. But when women start to take note of sexism in their daily lives - and speak up against it- they stop accepting it as "normal."
One such woman is Rora Blue.
Rora Blue, a 20-year-old artist from Sacramento, California, launched a new project - Handle With Care - which is aimed at capturing the adverse effect of sexist commentary.
Blue captioned one of the images saying, "Some phrases are things I have been told at different times during my life, others are comments that other women have submitted to me," adding that "the photos aim to capture modern day sexism and some of the pressures that women face in society today."
Each image shows one common sexist comment casually thrown at women.
Noodles in a bowl of soup spell out, "You're a woman, you belong in the kitchen," and "Why are you upset? Is it that time of the month again?" is embroidered onto an underwear.
Rora's most well-known work, titled The Unsent Project, combines art with the unspoken emotions we all wish we had the chance to say to our loved ones. And the best part? She says she gets her inspiration from people like us.
Rora Blue is unapologetic and her art bears testimony.
- Moos your daddy and other ways the Indian cow is magical
- Mohandas Modi? As PM replaces Gandhi in calendar, hilarious memes pop up
- J&K new counterinsurgency strategy: spare the locals, kill the foreigners
- In a Goan village, chillies fight back against iron ore mining. But will they survive?
- Universities & the end of social justice: Why must the recent happenings in JNU concern us?
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Om Puri's memory deserves better than the sleazy biography his wife wrote
- Om Puri is finally free of the Chakravyuh we built around his life and death
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Anurag Thakur ousted from his post as BCCI president by Supreme Court
- The number of House Democrats boycotting Trump's inauguration just keeps increasing
- 8 men as rich as half the world says Oxfam report. Is there a way to fix this stark inequality?
- No room for dissent in Pakistan; liberals face risk of being persecuted
- Unverified but explosive dossier on US President-elect Donald Trump released online
- Is Pak silencing dissent? Govt's critics go missing, state hand suspected