CBSE students will now have to appear for Class 10 board examinations from the academic year 2017-18.
Speaking to media in Jaipur on Monday, Union HRD minister Prakash Javadekar said that the government will definitely reintroduce compulsory class X board examination for CBSE schools.
However, the move will not be implemented in the coming academic year 2016-17. The minister had earlier stated that students will be given a year to adapt.
Javadekar also stated that state governments can choose to conduct board exams for Classes V and VIII. If reintroduced by states, the proposal will be tabled in the Cabinet and then in Parliament.
In the meeting, Javadekar also praised the "initiatives taken in school education sector in Rajasthan, Javadekar said much improvement in the quality of education in government schools have been brought in the state, which was 25 years ago called 'Bimaru'" reports PTI.
Just 4.37% CBSE candidates had opted for school-based exams across the country in 2014. The figure further dropped to 4.09% in 2015 and 3.95% in 2016.
The Board exams were scrapped about six years ago in an effort to reduce pressure on government. "Except CBSE, no other boards have introduced the optional scheme of Class X exam in their schools. The duality of the scheme under CCE (Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation) creates confusion, especially in terms of national parity in secondary level examination standards. The number of students opting for School Based Exam (scheme I) for Class X is insignificant in comparison with the national size on the number of students appearing in Class X board examinations," notes a document on Agenda Items of the 64th CABE meeting.