The Karnataka Government today denied that the mob attack on the Tanzanian woman in Bengaluru was a racial incident.
This is not a racist attack, this is just a response to an accident.Bengaluru doesn't have such kind of attitude-K'tka HM- ANI (@ANI_news) February 4, 2016
State Home Minister G Parameshwara held a detailed press conference apprising the press about the steps being taken by the state government to ensure justice in the case.
He said that five people have been arrested in relation to the case and more people would be arrested soon. However, he made it clear that it was only a case of assault not of molestation. The victim had claimed that she was stripped by the mob. While condemning the attack he added that had the Sudanese man not killed someone in the accident maybe this incident wouldn't have happened.
DGP &Commissioner went to spot today,spoke to affected students. Its clear we are taking this seriously-K'tka HM pic.twitter.com/eA0nivtAJN- ANI (@ANI_news) February 4, 2016
Had the Sudanese man not killed someone in the accident maybe this incident wouldnt have happened, says K'taka HM on #TanzanianGirl case- ANI (@ANI_news) February 4, 2016
He also gave the Police a clean chit, saying they were prompt in taking action. It was reported that the assault on the Tanzanian girl and other African students had happened in the presence of Police.
Earlier in the day Congress leader Digvijay Singh tweeted that the party high command had taken serious note of the incident and sought a report on it.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj had yesterday condemned the attack on the Tanzanian student, and asked for stringent punishment for the guilty.
A 21-year-old Tanzanian student was beaten and then stripped by a group of locals in Bengaluru on Saturday night after a Sudanese national ran his car over a 35-year-old woman resulting in on the spot death of the woman.
The Tanzanian student was travelling in another car, a Wagon-R, along with four others.