Shradh Puja is also known as Pitra Paksha. According to the Hindu Calendar Shradh Puja is being observed from 5-19 September in 2017. Pitra Paksha is a sixteen lunar days period in Hindu Calendar.
It is a time when Hindus pay homage to their ancestor by praying and offering food to Pandits as well as to animals (cow, dog) and birds (crow). It is widely believed that the prayers offered by people help in freeing the ancestors from their sins and help them in getting salvation.
It is an auspicious occasion for Hindus. However, people refrain themselves from doing many things which including buying new things.
According to the common belief, here are some of the things that must not be done during Shradh:
1. One should not commit any wrong deed.
2. The Shradh Puja should not be done in morning or in early part of the afternoon.
3. It is believed that one should not cut nails and hairs during these days.
4. It is also advised that no new things are bought at the time of Shradh.
5. It is not considered as the best time for a new venture. Therefore, if you are planning to start something new work wise, it is advisable that you wait for the Shradh period to get over.
6. Shaving is also prohibited during this period.
7. People also avoid eating non-veg food during Shradh. Some even avoid things like egg, onion and garlic during 15 days of Shradh.