Bleak outlook: Note ban likely to cost India Rs 1,28,400 crore
While the social cost of demonetisation has been fairly widely documented, the economic cost has largely been a matter of estimation. Now, however, the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy, a business information company, has done the math after compiling a series of analyses.
And the scenario it presents looks bleak: at the very least the exercise will cost the country Rs 1,28,400 crore. Consider these numbers.
- Punjab's gun culture & hopelessness: Death of the 25-yr-old dancer exposes dark underbelly
- Notebandi & politics: What is the problem with demonetisation?
- Note ban is not demonetisation. And Modi was aware of the demon it unleashed
- A year after Chennai floods: 'National' media continues Delhi-Mumbai favouritism
- Watch: 'There were better ways to attack black money than notebandi'
- Unfair tales: was Ravana's sister Surpanakha more hated than hateful?
- Indian poetry loses a leading light as Bekal Utsahi passes away
- In Pictures: 10 Amazing Photos from the Hornbill Festival 2016
- Forget happy pills, magic mushrooms can fight severe depression
- Quotes from the Earth: a film festival to focus on environmental issues is here
- The undying afterlife of Milkha Singh
- Lodha panel wants BCCI officials replaced by GK Pillai. This battle isn't over
- Traditional welcome for Kashmir's 8-year-old world kickboxing champ
- The kickboxing kid: Rare photos of 8-year-old kickboxing champ Tajamul Islam
- Assam's 15-year old boy bags five gold medals in South Asian Aquatic Championship
- In pictures: The amazing moment when Standing Rock activists realised they'd won
- Terror dominates Heart of Asia meet, Amritsar Declaration turns up heat on Pak
- Explainer: Italy's constitutional referendum & Matteo Renzi's great political gamble
- Photo: As Aleppo loses her famous 'Clown' & cat sanctuary, is there any hope left?
- India isn't alone when it comes to mandatory rulings about the national anthem