Bleak outlook: Note ban likely to cost India Rs 1,28,400 crore
While the social cost of demonetisation has been fairly widely documented, the economic cost has largely been a matter of estimation. Now, however, the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy, a business information company, has done the math after compiling a series of analyses.
And the scenario it presents looks bleak: at the very least the exercise will cost the country Rs 1,28,400 crore. Consider these numbers.
- Moos your daddy and other ways the Indian cow is magical
- Mohandas Modi? As PM replaces Gandhi in calendar, hilarious memes pop up
- J&K new counterinsurgency strategy: spare the locals, kill the foreigners
- In a Goan village, chillies fight back against iron ore mining. But will they survive?
- Universities & the end of social justice: Why must the recent happenings in JNU concern us?
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Om Puri's memory deserves better than the sleazy biography his wife wrote
- Om Puri is finally free of the Chakravyuh we built around his life and death
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Anurag Thakur ousted from his post as BCCI president by Supreme Court
- The number of House Democrats boycotting Trump's inauguration just keeps increasing
- 8 men as rich as half the world says Oxfam report. Is there a way to fix this stark inequality?
- No room for dissent in Pakistan; liberals face risk of being persecuted
- Unverified but explosive dossier on US President-elect Donald Trump released online
- Is Pak silencing dissent? Govt's critics go missing, state hand suspected