As Prime Minister Narendra Modi's self-imposed deadline of 50 days after demonetisation ended, Catch decided to take stock of the situation with the help of a well-known expert on public finance.
Arun Kumar, former Professor at Jawaharlal Nehru University and author of The Black Economy in India, dropped in at the Catch office for a chat.
In a freewheeling conversation, Kumar explained how it is not unfair to say that demonetisation has flopped. He noted that the stated objectives of the exercise were misleading and that the exercise itself reflected a flawed understanding of the black economy.
Kumar also gave some mind-boggling figures: fake currency amounting to 33 times more than the Rs 400 crore which has been caught and black income generation in 2016-17 was actually about Rs 93 lakh crore or 62% of GDP.
Watch the round-table in full for a clearer perspective on demonetisation and the black economy.
More in Catch - Demonetisation may slow down economy: President Pranab Mukherjee
- Modi says no to Jallikattu ordinance. Will protests turn violent now?
- Brexit will reshape Europe, but it'll have little impact on India
- In pictures: Is Jallikattu about cruelty or culture?
- Here's how a 25-year-old law grad is helping Delhi's homeless beat the cold
- Malegaon blasts case: ex-cop Mujawar claims ATS actually killed 3 accused
- JLF 2017 kicks off with songs, Sadhguru & Man Booker winner Paul Beatty
- No women to marry in China, so sex dolls are hugely popular: Mei Fong
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Oldies in ODIs a 'regressive' move? Yuvraj and Dhoni hit that thought for six
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Trump's inauguration merchandise includes chocolate bars, hot sauce and a dog poo bag
- Why we should send Bill Gates to Mars
- Trumpus Andronicus? What the Byzantine Empire can tell us about the rise of populist leaders
- The number of House Democrats boycotting Trump's inauguration just keeps increasing
- 8 men as rich as half the world says Oxfam report. Is there a way to fix this stark inequality?