Fifty-two years young! Yes, we are talking about Sridevi, Bollywood's first female superstar, who turns 52 today. The actress reigned Bollywood in 1980s and early 90s with films like Himmatwala, Chandni, Tohfa, Chalbaaz, Laadla and Judaai, among many others.
On her return to screens in 2013 with Gouri Shinde's directorial English Vinglsh, Sridevi garnered huge applause for portraying a naive housewife eager to learn the English language.
In a new avatar
The actress has once again geared up to conquer screens with her Tamil film Puli. The action-fantasy flick is directed by Chimbu Deven and also features actor Vijay, Shruti Haasan, Hansika Motwani and Nandita. Here's a lowdown of five lesser-known facts you need to know about the film:
1. It was musician AR Rahman who was considered for Puli. However, the final confirmation went on with the name of Devi Sri Prasad.
2. Puli marks Sridevi's come-back in Tamil film industry after 29 long years. She plays a princess in the film.
3. Initially, actresses Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone were considered for the characters which are now being played by Shruti Haasan and Hansika Motwani.
4. Hansika Motwani plays the character of Sridevi's daughter in the film.
5. The character now played by Nandita was earlier offered to actress Bhavana, but she turned down the role.