Trump hasn't backed away from gun control plan, says White House
On Tuesday, the White House has defended Donald Trump's gun control plan, saying that the US President has not shied away from his previous support on stronger arms regulations.
White House press secretary, Sarah Sanders told the press, "He (Trump) hasn't backed away from these things at all... He can't make them happen with a broad stroke of the pen. You have to have some congressional component to do some of these things. And without that support, it's not as possible,"
Sanders also added that the President is going to lead on school safety when it comes to administration.
When asked, how far has he has progressed, Sanders said, "He certainly has been since this process has begun, and he's going to continue to lead on it as we move forward."
On Monday, the White House released a plan listing Trump's directives on gun control in the wake of a school shooting in Florida last month.
As per the plan listed, there would be improved and better security at schools. There would be background checks on gun buyers and more effective mental health care.
The plan has also tasked Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos to formulate a report making suggestions on the minimum age to buy guns, to which Trump has voiced his support during previous meetings with shooting victims.
Short of definitely raising the age limit, Trump has been accused of "chickening out" of his promises, but Sanders said the measure is still on the table.
On February 14, a 19-year-old boy killed 17 people at a Florida high school which included students and teachers. He was carrying a semi-automatic rifle.
In most US states, the minimum age to buy handguns is 21 and 18 for rifles.
Also Read: Gun-school safety bill gets Florida lawmakers' nod three weeks after school shooting