Home » World News » Trump makes a point about gun control on Twitter
 
SPEED NEWS

Trump makes a point about gun control on Twitter

News Agencies | Updated on: 5 June 2017, 10:24 IST
(ANI)

After a series of tweets, including one offering United States support to the United Kingdom and another criticising London Mayor Sadiq Khan, President Donald Trump on 4 June took to Twitter to point out that the 3 June's evening attacks in London had not spurred an immediate debate about gun control because the attackers did not use guns.

He tweeted, "Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck!"

However, gunshot victim and former lawmaker Gabrielle Giffords slammed Trump's tweet and said that "every day we are having a gun debate because every day 90 people in our country die from gun violence. Many of them are kids."

Meanwhile, the ISIS claimed responsibility for the London terror attacks, which rattled the city a day before killing seven and injuring 48.
According to the SITE Intelligence Group, the Islamic State's official Amaq News Agency posted a message on Telegram on 4 June claiming that 3 June's attacks at the London Bridge and the Borough Market here were carried out by ISIS fighters.

A detachment of Islamic State fighters executed yesterday's London attack, the statement said.

They claimed it was carried out by ISIS operatives rather than 'lone wolves'. Amaq's statement quoted 'sources'.

Earlier, the British Police confirmed arresting 12 persons in connection with the terror attacks.

"Officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command have this morning, Sunday 4 June, arrested 12 people in Barking, east London, in connection with last night's incidents in London Bridge and the Borough Market area. Searches of a number of addresses in Barking are continuing," London's Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

So far, investigators have not drawn a connection between this attack and the vehicle attack in March on the Westminster bridge in London or the 22 May bomb attack at the Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

-ANI

First published: 5 June 2017, 10:21 IST
 
PREVIOUS STORY
NEXT STORY