Live: Jayalalithaa condition critical; police, paramilitary on alert in TN
Large crowd has been holding a vigil outside Chennai's Apollo Hospital, where Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has been admitted. The crowd swelled late on 4 December, after news of Jayalalithaa having suffered a cardiac arrest spread like wildfire.On 5 December, Apollo Hospitals released a statement confirming that the CM suffered a cardiac arrest and is being treated and monitored by a team of experts, including cardiologists, pulmonologist and the critical care specialists.
Many supporters were seen wailing and praying for the well-being of the Chief Minister. A heavy police force has been deployment outside the hospital to control the mammoth crowd.
Jayalalithaa on heart assistance device after cardiac arrest, security beefed up outside Apollo hospital
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa has been put on extracorporeal membrane heart assist device by expert doctors and critical care specialists at Apollo Hospitals after she suffered a cardiac arrest on Sunday evening.
"Dr. Richard Beale, professor of intensive care medicine, from London was also consulted, and he has concurred with the line of treatment by our cardiologists pulmonologists," said Apollo Hospitals.
A Huge crowd gathered outside Apollo Hospital here after the news of Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa having suffered a cardiac arrest broke on Sunday evening.
New Zealand Prime Minister John Key retires, Deputy PM Bill English likely to take over
New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, on 5 December, announced his resignation, saying it was the right time to go after eight years in the job.
"This is the hardest decision I've ever made and I don't know what I'll do next," he told a news conference, adding that he had never seen himself as a career politician. Being leader of both the party and the country has been an incredible experience."
Matteo Renzi steps down as Italy PM after losing referendum on constitutional reform
Italy's Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, on 5 December, announced that he would be stepping down after losing a referendum on constitutional reform.
"My experience of government finishes here," Renzi told a press conference after the No campaign won what he described as an "extraordinarily clear" victory in the referendum on which he had staked his future.
Interior Ministry projections suggested the No camp, led by the populist Five Star Movement, had won the referendum with the backing of 59.5% of those who voted. Nearly 70% of Italians entitled to vote yesterday cast their ballots, an exceptionally high turnout that reflected the high stakes and the intensity of the various issues involved.
Prime Minister Modi inaugurates 12th International Oil and Gas Conference, PETROTECH-2016
The 12th International Oil and Gas Conference, PETROTECH-2016 was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the national capital on 5 December.
The theme of the Conference is Hydrocarbons to fuel the future - Choices and Challenges.
The Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry has said that the conference aims to explore areas of growth in petroleum technology, exploration, drilling, production and processing, refining and other related issues.
PM Narendra Modi is TIME Magazine's Person Of The Year - Reader's Poll
According to TIME Magazine, Modi won with 18 per cent of the vote when the poll closed Sunday at midnight.
PM Narendra Modi garnered 18% of th vote that closed on Sunday but that was enough to give him the title of TIME Magazine's Person Of The Year - Reader's Poll. TIME Magazine's Person Of The Year will be announced on 7 December and that is chosen by TIME Magazine's editors.
Modi was well ahead of his closest contenders that included outgoing US President Barack Obama, president-elect Donald Trump and Julian Assange. These three each received seven per cent of the vote.
Alec Baldwin vows to stop SNL impersonation if Trump releases tax returns
Shots have been fired. Actor Alec Baldwin has vowed to stop his impersonation of Donald Trump on the hit show 'Saturday Night Live' if the president-elect releases his tax returns.
The offer from Baldwin came via his Twitter account in response to Trump's tweet about SNL not being funny.
Oxford University is being sued by an Indian-origin student for boring teaching
Faiz Siddiqui studied modern history at Brasenose College and has accused the staff of "negligent" teaching of his course on Indian imperial history back in 2000. A London High Court heard the case this week. It came down to four out of the seven of those teachers teaching Asian history being simultaneously on sabbatical leave.
The judgement is expected later this month.
Global cancer cases has seen a 33% rise in the last decade
There were an estimated 17.5 million cancer cases around the world and 8.7 million deaths in 2015, according to a new report which shows that the cases increased by 33 per cent in the last decade.
An estimated 17.5 million cancer cases and 8.7 million deaths around the world in 2015. That represents a 33 per cent increase in cases in the last decade. This is mostly due to the ageing population and growth changes in ag-specific cancer rates.
- What killed the 6 pilgrims at Ganga Sagar? State says heart attack, PMO tweets stampede
- Moos your daddy and other ways the Indian cow is magical
- Mohandas Modi? As PM replaces Gandhi in calendar, hilarious memes pop up
- J&K new counterinsurgency strategy: spare the locals, kill the foreigners
- In a Goan village, chillies fight back against iron ore mining. But will they survive?
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Om Puri's memory deserves better than the sleazy biography his wife wrote
- Om Puri is finally free of the Chakravyuh we built around his life and death
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Anurag Thakur ousted from his post as BCCI president by Supreme Court
- The number of House Democrats boycotting Trump's inauguration just keeps increasing
- 8 men as rich as half the world says Oxfam report. Is there a way to fix this stark inequality?
- No room for dissent in Pakistan; liberals face risk of being persecuted
- Unverified but explosive dossier on US President-elect Donald Trump released online
- Is Pak silencing dissent? Govt's critics go missing, state hand suspected