Chennai: IT officials raid Tamil Nadu chief secretary Rammohan Rao's residence
On 21 December, Income Tax officials conducted a raid at Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary Rammohan Rao's residence in Chennai's Anna Nagar.
The officials, according to reports, also raided seven other places in the city.
Rammohan Rao, 58, became the Chief Secretary in June 2016. He was Additional Chief Secretary to the Chief Minister before he was anointed Chief Secretary.
Sri Lankan Navy arrests 12 Indian fishermen
Twelve Indian fishermen were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy for allegedly fishing in their territorial waters.
The arrest comes a day after Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O Panneerselvam asked the Centre to send a "firm message" to the island nation over continued apprehension of the state's fishermen.
On Tuesday, seven persons from Pudukottai district were detained for allegedly fishing in their waters and taken to Kangesanthurai Port, along with their boats.
Three groups of fishermen from Pamban near here were arrested on Tuesday night by the naval men for fishing off Thalaimannar and were detained at the police station there, fisheries department officials said on Wednesday.
Berlin terrorist attack: Authorities hunt for attacker after IS claims responsibility
German police on 21 December stepped up their hunt for the driver of a truck that rampaged through a Berlin Christmas market, in a deadly assault claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group.
The sole suspect -- a 23-year-old Pakistani asylum seeker -- was released late yesterday for lack of evidence, prompting worries of a killer on the loose and further rattling nerves in a shocked country.
"We can't rule out that the perpetrator is on the run," Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere told German broadcaster ZDF.
17-year old girl shot dead in Delhi's Najafgarh
A 17-year-old girl was shot dead on 20 December in Delhi's Najafgarh area by unknown assailants.
Simran, a resident of Deepak Vihar in Najafgarh was rushed to Ayushman Hospital in Dwarka where she was declared dead.
Simran, along with her two friends had gone to Rajouri Garden to have lunch.
While on their way back, they stopped at Dwarka for some work.
Around 7.30 p.m., Simran's mother called her to know her whereabouts.
Demonitisation was not our wish, there are still many problems: Chandrababu Naidu
Speaking up against Centre's demonitisation drive, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu has said, "Demonetisation was not our wish, there are still many problems. People are suffering."
This comes as a shock to several quarters since Naidu had earlier been vocal about his support to demonetisation.
Speaking at a Telugu Desam Party workshop, Naidu said, "Demonetisation was not our wish but it happened. More than 40 days after demonetisation, there are still a lot of problems but yet there appears to be no solution."
"It still remains a sensitive and complicated problem," Chandrababu added.
Taher Shah makes acting debut in Pakistan's first online movie
Taher Shah of Eye to Eye fame has made his film debut with a cameo in Pakistan's first online movie 'Oye Kuch Kar Guzar'.
Taher Shah plays the role of a 'love guru'. He is sitting on a chair, caressing a white cat.
- In pictures: Is Jallikattu about cruelty or culture?
- Here's how a 25-year-old law grad is helping Delhi's homeless beat the cold
- Malegaon blasts case: ex-cop Mujawar claims ATS actually killed 3 accused
- Jallikattu protests grip Tamil Nadu. But is it really a cruel sport?
- We were denied our basic right to pay homage, says Rohith Vemula's brother Raja
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Om Puri's memory deserves better than the sleazy biography his wife wrote
- Om Puri is finally free of the Chakravyuh we built around his life and death
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Anurag Thakur ousted from his post as BCCI president by Supreme Court
- Trump's inauguration merchandise includes chocolate bars, hot sauce and a dog poo bag
- Why we should send Bill Gates to Mars
- Trumpus Andronicus? What the Byzantine Empire can tell us about the rise of populist leaders
- The number of House Democrats boycotting Trump's inauguration just keeps increasing
- 8 men as rich as half the world says Oxfam report. Is there a way to fix this stark inequality?