Pathankot terror attack: NIA files chargesheet, names JeM chief Masood Azhar among others
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has filed a chargesheet in the Pathankot terror attack in a special court in Mohali, on 19 December. The 101-page chargesheet names Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) chief Masood Azhar, his brother Rauf Asghar, two handlers Kashif Jan and Shahid Latif, along with four dead attackers, as the accused.
In a video released right after the attack, Rauf Asghar had claimed responsibility for the attack and glorified Masood Azhar's role in executing the Pathankot attack carried out on 2 January, 2016.
Chinese military publishes photo of strategic bomber flying over Taiwan, raises concern
A photo published by Chinese military showing its strategic bomber reportedly flying over Taiwan, days after Beijing's spat with US President-elect Donald Trump over his questioning of 'One China' policy, has sparked concerns in the island, official media in Beijing reported. The photo published by the People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) showing a long-range strategic bomber flying within visible range of Yushan, Taiwan's highest mountain, has caused great concern in Taiwan amid debate about whether the mainland will reunify the island by force, state-run Global Times reported.
Noted Gandhian, environmentalist Anupam Mishra dies at 68
Noted Gandhian, journalist, environmentalist and water conservationist Anupam Mishra passed away at the age of 68 at the All India Institute for Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Delhi on the morning of 19 December, a family member said.
Mishra, who was battling prostrate cancer since the last one year, had been awarded the 1996 Indira Gandhi Paryavaran Puraskar (IGPP) award instituted by the Ministry of Environment and Forests.
Senior AIADMK functionaries ask Sasikala Natarajan to take over as chief minister of Tamil Nadu
A host of senior AIADMK functionaries on 18 December urged former Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa's aide Sasikala Natarajan to take over as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. They also asked Ms Natarajan to take on the mantle of both the party.
Days after the death of Jayalalithaa, top AIADMK leaders, including Chief Minister O Panneerselvam and Lok Sabha Deputy Speaker M Thambidurai had urged Sasikala to become the party General Secretary, a post held by Jayalalithaa all her life.
Jayalalithaa Peravai, a wing of the ruling AIADMK, had earlier in the day passed a resolution urging Sasikala Natarajan to become both party general secretary and Chief Minister by contesting from RK Nagar constituency in Chennai, which was represented by late Jayalalithaa.
Peravai Secretary R B Udhayakumar who is also the Tamil Nadu Revenue Minister, handed over the resolution titled "Thai Thanta Varam," (Sasikala is a boon granted by Amma) to Ms Natarajan, urging her to take the responsibilities of both the party and the government.
Miss World 2016 crown goes to Stephanie del Valle of Puerto Rico
Miss Puerto Rico, Stephanie del Valle, has been crowned Miss World 2016. The 19-year-old edged out runners-up from the Dominican Republic and Indonesia, and beauties from around the globe.
Del Valle is a brown-eyed brunette student who speaks Spanish, English and French, and hopes to get into the entertainment industry.
OnePlus 3 for under Rs 20,000? Flipkart had it during Big Shopping Days sale
The era of flash sales in India aren't extinct. On Friday, Flipkart brought the OnePlus 3 for Rs 18,999 - almost Rs 9,000 less - and it sold out within a mere second. The OnePlus 3 is an Amazon India exclusive so there was lots of confusion whether it was a 'genuine' product or not. The sale commenced on Friday at 4 PM. It may be back in stock a few more times.
Australia survive battling Pakistan team to win first Test by 39 runs
Australia were relieved on Day 5 as they captured Pakistan's last two wickets to win a nerve-racking first day-night Test in Brisbane. They beat Pakistan by 39 runs on Monday. Pakistan won hearts with their huge effort to try and turn around the match.
Chasing a record 490 for victory, Pakistan were, at one stage, 220 for 6. Asad Shafiq's battling 137 gave the visitors a sniff at victory but in the end, it wasn't meant to be. The next Test match starts on boxing day.
Atletico de Kolkata win their second ISL title in three seasons
Atletico de Kolkata are once again Indian Super League champions. They overcame an inconsistent Kerala Blasters to win the title in a penalty shooutout after regulation time ended in a 1-1 draw.
Atletico de Kolkata earlier made history after regulation time when the draw gave them their 10th draw in 17 matches, That's the most ever in a single ISL season. It was so near, yet so far for Kerala Blasters as they had taken the lead in the penalty shooutout. It wasn't meant to be in the end.
Manipur economic blockade in Imphal East district turns violent
As per reports, at least 22 cars, buses and other vehicles were torched in Manipur's Imphal East district on Sunday, 18 December. This was done by those angry residents protesting the Naga economic blockade along with several incidents of militancy targeting security forces.
Following this tension, parts of Manipur were brought under curfew and mobile internet services were cut off.
- Losing the plot: what Bhangor farmers' stir says about Mamata's land policy
- #IWillGoOut: On 21 Jan over 20 cities unitedly march against sexual harassment
- Sheena Bora murder: CBI court frames charges against Indrani, Peter & Sanjeev
- Mass rape of Adivasi women in Bastar: Why are human rights body and women's panel mum?
- What killed the 6 pilgrims at Ganga Sagar? State says heart attack, PMO tweets stampede
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Om Puri's memory deserves better than the sleazy biography his wife wrote
- Om Puri is finally free of the Chakravyuh we built around his life and death
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Anurag Thakur ousted from his post as BCCI president by Supreme Court
- Why we should send Bill Gates to Mars
- Trumpus Andronicus? What the Byzantine Empire can tell us about the rise of populist leaders
- The number of House Democrats boycotting Trump's inauguration just keeps increasing
- 8 men as rich as half the world says Oxfam report. Is there a way to fix this stark inequality?
- No room for dissent in Pakistan; liberals face risk of being persecuted