Odisha: At least 19 dead in a major fire at Bhubaneshwar's SUM hospital
At least 19 people have been killed and over 100 were injured in a major fire that broke out at Sum Hospital in Odisha's capital Bhubaneshwar, on 17 October.
The fire broke out at around 7:30 pm due to an electric short circuit in the dialysis ward on the second floor of the hospital. The fire, according to reports, spread out on the entire floor within minutes.
It has also been reported that when the fire broke out there were 7 critical patients on ventilators in the dialysis ward and 11 patients were in the nearby ICU.
Mumbai: Major fire breaks out at Maker Tower in Cuffe Parade; 2 dead
A fire broke out on the 20th floor of a residential building, Maker Tower, in Cuffe Parade, South Mumbai early morning on 18 October.
Unconfirmed reports suggest that two people have lost their lives in the incident. Two others are believed to be critically injured.
According to media reports, 17 fire tenders rushed to the spot and 11 people have been rescued so far.
Reportedly, the flat that was gutted in fire belonged to Shekhar Bajaj (MD, Bajaj Electricals).
J&K: Pakistan troops violate ceasefire, shell mortar bombs along the LoC in Rajouri
Violating the ceasefire, Pakistani troops fired from small arms and shelled mortar bombs on forward posts along the LoC in Rajouri district, drawing retaliation from Indian troops, on 18 October.
"There was ceasefire violation by Pakistani troops along the LoC in Naushera sector of Rajouri district", a defence spokesperson said.
Pakistani troops fired 82 mm mortar bombs and used small and automatic weapons in the firing on forward Indian posts in Laam Battalion area in Naushera from 2030 hours to 0130 hours, the spokesperson said.
Samsung's woes is a 5-7 million user gain for Apple
Apple is likely to cash in over Samsung's woes big time. Samsung cancelled the production of the Galaxy Noe 7 last week and consumers have a choice of getting another phone from Samsung or a phone fr om another manufacturer. Ming-Chi Kuo, KGI Securities analyst believes that manufacturer will be Apple. She goes on to say that iPhone 7's dual camera is making the phone an attractive buy.
Netflix shares jump 20% in after hours trading
Following Netflix's earning reports in which it saw 50% more subscribers - 3.20 million subscribers addd in the third quarter - than it expected, the stock soared 20$ in after hours trading. This comes despite a price hike in the US. This is a omplete turnaround from the last quarters earnings where it reported disappointing subscription grrowth. From a close of $99.80, Netflix's shares rose to $119.82.
RT claims accounts frozen, RBS denies
At a time of heightened diplomatic tensions, RT (formerly known as Russia Today) has claimed that its bank accounts in London have been frozen. The channel accused Royal Bank of Scotland's (RBS) NatWest Bank of freezing its accounts it an attack on "freedom of speech".
RBS, however, flatly denies the charges, claiming that the redacted documents shown as proof by RT are actually of another firm with no ties to RT. RBS maintains that the channel's accounts remain open.
Aussie academic's thesis puts 4 banks in dock for collusion
Andrew Caminschi, an unassuming Australian academic, has just become enemy number one of Barclays, the Bank of Nova Scotia, HSBC and Societe Generale. This comes after his thesis on gold pricing found damning evidence that the 4 banks colluded to rig the price of gold to dupe investors over the course of a decade.
Caminschi made the discovery after going through millions of gold transactions over the last 18 months for a thesis paper. The banks are now being sued to the tune of $750 million each by angry investors.
- Brexit will reshape Europe, but it'll have little impact on India
- In pictures: Is Jallikattu about cruelty or culture?
- Here's how a 25-year-old law grad is helping Delhi's homeless beat the cold
- Malegaon blasts case: ex-cop Mujawar claims ATS actually killed 3 accused
- Jallikattu protests grip Tamil Nadu. But is it really a cruel sport?
- Jaipur Literature Festival 2017 kicks off with songs, Sadhguru & Man Booker winner Paul Beatty
- No women to marry in China, so sex dolls are hugely popular: Mei Fong
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Oldies in ODIs a 'regressive' move? Yuvraj and Dhoni hit that thought for six
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Trump's inauguration merchandise includes chocolate bars, hot sauce and a dog poo bag
- Why we should send Bill Gates to Mars
- Trumpus Andronicus? What the Byzantine Empire can tell us about the rise of populist leaders
- The number of House Democrats boycotting Trump's inauguration just keeps increasing
- 8 men as rich as half the world says Oxfam report. Is there a way to fix this stark inequality?