China to return seized underwater US drone after Donald Trump calls it unprecedented act
The Chinese Defense Ministry, on 18 December, said that it has decided to return a United States underwater drone it seized in international waters, saying Washington "hyped up" the issue.
Beijing's statement came on Saturday soon after President-elect Donald Trump weighed in on the matter, calling China's action "unprecedented."
"China steals United States Navy research drone in international waters - rips it out of water and takes it to China in unprecedented act," tweeted Trump.
Outraged to see another terrorist attack against Turkish security forces: US
The United States has strongly condemned the terrorist attack in Turkey's central province of Kayseri that killed thirteen soldiers and said that it stands by the country in its fight against terrorism.
Spokesperson of the US State Department, John Kirby said, "We are saddened and outraged to see reports of another terrorist attack against Turkish security forces, this time in the city of Kayseri. We send our thoughts and prayers to the loved ones of those killed and wounded in this horrible attack."
"There is absolutely no justification for the inhumane acts perpetrated against the Turkish people by terrorists. We are in close touch with Turkish authorities and have offered our support to the ongoing investigation of this attack," he added.
Air force transport plane crashes in Indonesia, 13 killed
Thirteen people were killed when an Indonesian air force transport plane crashed into a mountain during a training exercise in the remote region of Papua.
The news was confirmed by a search and rescue team.
The Hercules C130 plane, before crashing near Wamena, had taken off from the city of Timika said Ivan Ahmad Riski Titus, operational director of Indonesia's Search and Rescue Agency, reported an international news agency.
Delhi: 43 displaced Kashmiri kids to attend finals of annual Gaashtarukh function
The Jammu Kashmir Vichar Manch (JKVM), on 18 December, will be organising the finals of the annual Gaashtarukh V at the Mavlankar Hall, Delhi, to encourage displaced Kashmiri children to reconnect with their cultural roots.
The event to be held between 3:30 pm and 7:30 pm, will see the participation of about 43 displaced Kashmiri kids currently living in various parts of the Delhi NCR. Competitions have been organised for Kashmiri songs, dance and instrumentals.
The aim of this annual Gaashtarukh competition is to keep the young displaced Kashmiri community connected with their cultural roots.
Enforcement Directorate files money laundering case against Axis Bank Noida
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has registered a money laundering case in the alleged forging of a customer's identity to conduct huge illegal transactions in an Axis Bank branch in Noida for conversion of black funds into white post demonetisation.
The individual, identified as N Paswan, in his complaint filed with the police has claimed that his identity has been forged and a current and a savings account were opened in his name in the said branch which were allegedly used to launder crores of rupees post demonetisation.
Officials said the ED registered a criminal complaint under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) taking cognisance of the police FIR on a complaint filed by Paswan, a resident of Delhi's Pitampura area.
OnePlus 3 for under Rs 20,000? Flipkart had it during Big Shopping Days sale
The era of flash sales in India aren't extinct. On Friday, Flipkart brought the OnePlus 3 for Rs 18,999 - almost Rs 9,000 less - and it sold out within a mere second. The OnePlus 3 is an Amazon India exclusive so there was lots of confusion whether it was a 'genuine' product or not. The sale commenced on Friday at 4 PM. It may be back in stock a few more times.
Australia survive battling Pakistan team to win first Test by 39 runs
Australia were relieved on Day 5 as they captured Pakistan's last two wickets to win a nerve-racking first day-night Test in Brisbane. They beat Pakistan by 39 runs on Monday. Pakistan won hearts with their huge effort to try and turn around the match.
Chasing a record 490 for victory, Pakistan were, at one stage, 220 for 6. Asad Shafiq's battling 137 gave the visitors a sniff at victory but in the end, it wasn't meant to be. The next Test match starts on boxing day.
Atletico de Kolkata win their second ISL title in three seasons
Atletico de Kolkata are once again Indian Super League champions. They overcame an inconsistent Kerala Blasters to win the title in a penalty shooutout after regulation time ended in a 1-1 draw.
Atletico de Kolkata earlier made history after regulation time when the draw gave them their 10th draw in 17 matches, That's the most ever in a single ISL season. It was so near, yet so far for Kerala Blasters as they had taken the lead in the penalty shooutout. It wasn't meant to be in the end.
Manipur economic blockade in Imphal East district turns violent
As per reports, at least 22 cars, buses and other vehicles were torched in Manipur's Imphal East district on Sunday, 18 December. This was done by those angry residents protesting the Naga economic blockade along with several incidents of militancy targeting security forces.
Following this tension, parts of Manipur were brought under curfew and mobile internet services were cut off.
- In pictures: Is Jallikattu about cruelty or culture?
- Here's how a 25-year-old law grad is helping Delhi's homeless beat the cold
- Malegaon blasts case: ex-cop Mujawar claims ATS actually killed 3 accused
- Jallikattu protests grip Tamil Nadu. But is it really a cruel sport?
- We were denied our basic right to pay homage, says Rohith Vemula's brother Raja
- You may want to be clever like Birbal, but it's Chanakya who is inspiring many
- Heard of the love meter? You will in Khalid Akhtar's 'Love in Chakiwara'
- Snowflakes of Time review: This Sibal is the superior poet in the family
- Om Puri's memory deserves better than the sleazy biography his wife wrote
- Om Puri is finally free of the Chakravyuh we built around his life and death
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- SC axes Anurag Thakur as BCCI chief: the clean-up in Indian sport begins here
- Anurag Thakur ousted from his post as BCCI president by Supreme Court
- Trump's inauguration merchandise includes chocolate bars, hot sauce and a dog poo bag
- Why we should send Bill Gates to Mars
- Trumpus Andronicus? What the Byzantine Empire can tell us about the rise of populist leaders
- The number of House Democrats boycotting Trump's inauguration just keeps increasing
- 8 men as rich as half the world says Oxfam report. Is there a way to fix this stark inequality?