Prime Minister Narendra Modi meets Japanese Emperor Akihito on his three day visit to Japan
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who arrived in Tokyo on 10 November, on a three-day visit, met Japanese Emperor Akihito on 11 November, where they discussed the common bonds between their nations and deliberated on the future of Asia.
"Speaking of civilizations. PM @narendramodi and Emperor Akihito talk of the common bonds of #IndiaJapan and the future of Asia. A rare audience that symbolizes the unique warmth between #IndiaJapan. PM @narendramodi greets His Highness Emperor Akihito of Japan," Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) official spokesperson Vikas Swarup said in a series of tweets.
Later in the day, Prime Narendra Modi will have wide ranging talks with his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe at the11th India Japan annual summit in Tokyo which will include security, trade and investment, skill development and infrastructure development.
Several agreements will be signed after talks between the two leaders.
Not My President: Anti-Trump protests on the second night continue across America
Anti Trump protests are showing no signs of abating for the second day running in American cities, as tens of thousands of people came out on the streets the second night in protest in about 25 cities across America chanting 'Not My President'.
These disturbing developments emerged nearly 48 hours after the country elected its 45th president after a bitter campaign that many political pundits say has been the bitterest one they have seen in their lifetime.
In downtown Manhattan, home to both Presidential candidates Trump and Clinton about 200 protestors gathered in Washington Square Park chanting 'Trump and Pence make no sense'.
This even as Presidential-elect Donald Trump flew in to the country capital Washington DC to meet with President Obama for the first time ever.
Legendary poet and songwriter Leonard Cohen dies at 82
Leonard Cohen, the storied musician and poet hailed as one of the most visionary artists of his generation, has died at age 82, his publicist said on 11 November.
"It is with profound sorrow we report that legendary poet, songwriter and artist, Leonard Cohen has passed away. We have lost one of music's most revered and prolific visionaries," read a statement on Cohen's Facebook page.
Cohen, who was brought up in Montreal but lived in California late in his life, will have a private memorial service at a later date, the statement said.
"Leonard Cohen was an unparalleled artist whose stunning body of original work has been embraced by generations of fans and artists alike," his label Sony Music said in a statement.
Cohen began as a poet before branching out into music -- reluctantly at first -- writing some of his generation's most reflective songs, including the oft-covered spiritual "Hallelujah."
11 dead, several injured after massive fire breaks out in Ghaziabad garment factory
At least 11 people were killed and several others were injured after a massive fire broke out in a garment factory of Sahibabad area in Ghaziabad district of Uttar Pradesh on 11 November.
Around 14 fire tenders were rushed to spot.
According to reports, the fire broke out at around 4am. The injured have been rushed to the nearby hospital.
The cause of fire has not been ascertained as yet.
Did ArthaKranti propose the Rs 1000, Rs 500 ban to Narendra Modi in 2013?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 8 November announcement to ban existing currency notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 came as a shock to many. The move - which is an attempt to end corruption and curb the spread of black money - has drawn both, praise for its ingenuity, and criticism for the confusion that it caused.
However, while the move is being hailed as a gamechanger, sources revealed that it may have taken almost three years for it to see the light of day.
A Pune-based organisation named ArthaKranti Sansthan has been credited for conceptualising this innovative technique to fight corruption and check black money. Four members of the organisation - namely, Anil Bokil, Ashutosh Phalke, Mrugendra Singh and Deepak Karanjikar - met Modi in Gandhinagar to pitch the idea.
Russia was 'in touch' with Donald Trump's team during US election campaigning
The Russian government has claimed that it was in touch with the representatives from Donald Trump's presidential campaign, however, the President-elect's team has firmly denied the report.
This development comes after Clinton camp continuously accusing Trump over his close ties to the Russian regime, which Trump has constantly denied.
"During this entire period, we not only sent some signals through some representatives, or private messages," the CNN quoted Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova as saying on Thursday about the communications with the Trump staff.
"It was our clear position that we are ready for cooperation and working together and establishing normal relations," she added.
President-elect Donald Trump's transition team have launched their first .gov website. It's called GreatAgain and it's an eye opener into what Donald Trump is and his team that is going to help him during his four years as presidency. It's got a section for ideas from the citizens, a section for press releases and even one for information on policies.
Paris climate agreement ratified by Pakistan
The Paris climate change agreement was ratified by Pakistan at a ceremony that was held at the United Nations Headquarters in New York. They are the 104th country to ratify the landmark deal.
Maleeha Lodhi, Pakistan's Permanent Representative to the UN deposited the Instrument of Ratification signed by the President of Pakistan.
- Jallikattu on, but without joy. And Panneerselvam is to blame
- Kolkata Police, Bengal govt tell public to ignore WhatsApp rumours about masked criminals
- Scenes from a mofussil pub: Small-town India catches up with big cities
- Bastar crackdown continues: Now Bela Bhatia is threatened, told to leave
- TN Assembly passes law for Jallikattu, protest turns violent before ending
- Man Booker winner Paul Beatty: I had teachers who told me to stop writing
- Jack the Ripper & why he was never nabbed: Bruce Robinson rips apart the Freemasons
- Zuni Chopra turns author at just 15 with debut novel 'The House that Spoke'
- We should have moved from British Raj to Hindu Raj: Saeed Naqvi
- Fries before guys: 3 women and a dream to be Delhi's ultimate fries destination
- It's time for women to shine: AIFF launch Indian Women's League
- Oldies in ODIs a 'regressive' move? Yuvraj and Dhoni hit that thought for six
- Kohli and Dhoni: A study in contrasts
- The biggest FIFA World Cup ever - 48 teams for 2026, will India make cut?
- O captain! My captain! There will never be another Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- India-UAE relations set for boost as Crown Prince Mohammed comes calling
- Beware of those who seem to know what's going on: Robert F Worth on Aleppo
- The Trump era has begun - how can we make sense of it?
- Donald Trump moves from 'I' to 'We' as he's sworn in as USA's 45th President
- In pictures: Donald Trump is officially the world's most powerful man