Indian television has got a new 'naagin'. Yes, Colors is serving the old concept in a new package with their new weekend show Naagin that stars Adaa Khan, Mouni Roy and Arjun Bijlani in the lead roles.
Most of us think of Sridevi when the term naagin comes up. The actress gave one of her most remembered performances when she played the character of naagin in 1986 film Nagina; the song 'Main Teri Dushman...' became an instant hit.
With no other 'naagin' on telly, it would be interesting to see how well Roy plays the iconoic character. The show premiered on Colors last weekend and managed good viewership. Here is more about Mouni Roy, the sassy new naagin of the Indian television.
1. Mouni debuted in the industry with Ekta Kapoor's Kyukii Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi as Krishna Tulsi. She was paired opposite Fukrey actor Pulkit Samrat in the show. Later on, she worked on other popular TV shows including Devon Ke Dev...Mahadev (Sati), Junoon - Aisi Nafrat Toh Kaisa Ishq (Meera).
2. Roy has done a couple of reality TV shows as well. She even participated in Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 7 and Pati Patni Aur Woh.
3. Mouni earlier dated actor Gaurav Chopr. Currently, she is in a relationship with her Mahadev co-star Mohit Raina.
4. The actress is a trained Kathak dancer and is well-versed in other dance forms as well. In fact, she was more inclined towards choreography during her college days.
5. Mouni belongs to Cooch Bihar in West Bengal. She is a Delhi University graduate and later got a degree in Mass Communication from Jamia Millia Islamia University.
6. While her father is an office superintendent and mother a high school teacher, Mouni's grandfather used to be a well-known theatre artist.
7. Apart from acting and dancing, Mouni is fond of reading books. Even her Twitter profile describes her as a "A Jane Austen heroine in a Christopher Nolan world!"
-- Text by Vineeta Kumar