Hina Fatima Khan | Updated on: 27 July 2015, 18:45 IST
- IT czar N R Narayana Murthy expressed his views on technology in India by stating the fact that "India has not made any earth shaking invention in the past 60 years." Not even a single invention that could become a big name globally, so whats the point of boasting about use of technology in India?"
- While delivering a convocation address at the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore, Murthy stressed that 'none of the prime ministers since Jawaharlal Nehru have paid attention to need for research in the country.'
- Referring to first prime minister's visit to US in 1962 he spoke of the plans and aspirations that the then PM had expressed. He had invited the about-to-finish Indian PHD students to come back to the country and help in creating an India with equal access to health, shelter and education to the poorest sections of the society.
- "Not much impactful work has been done by our young minds despite being equal to their counterparts of other countries. There is no difference in intellect, energy and confidence between them and our youngsters at IIS. "To grow in the field of research and technology, we have to become more open minded in welcoming foreign intellectuals and students. We have to create opportunities for our students and faculty to spend time at well known universities abroad," Murthy said.
- "For that we have to create an environment of utmost respect for scholarship and for our Directors and faculty in the corridors of the government, among bureaucrats, politicians and in our society. Almost all the big inventions like radio, television,wifi,computer,internet,electric bulb,MRI,robots are from the Western minds, he said."
- "The only two ideas that have transformed the productivity of global corporations - the global delivery model and the 24-hour workday - came from a company called Infosys."
- Murthy's statement comes as a counter view to Prime Minister Narendra Modi's recent speech boasting of the Indian IIT at the Skill India Mission launch.
- Modi had said that "In the last 20th century, IIT made its name in the world. The world recognized us for the best IITs in the world. But this century needs ITI (Industrial Training Institute) the educational training hubs for the youth."