Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced the Union Budget 2017-2018, his fourth annual budget, in the Parliament today. This year's budget was followed by the demonetisation move by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 8 November, 2016.
There were key announcements in the budget, particularly in taxes, finance, political party funding, railways and housing. Several key announcements were made for the technology sector in the country.
Here is a list of announcements made for the booming tech industry in the country on the lines of Digital India:
- The government has allocated a sum of 745 crore for boosting the ecosystem to make India a global hub for electronics manufacture
- Bharat Net Project has been allocated Rs 10,000 crore
- DigiGaon initiative announced to digitise villages
- Increased allocation and incentives to mobile handset manufacturers in 2017-18
- New schemes to promote BHIM
- AadhaarPay to be launched
- The government is targeting 2500 crore digital payments
- High speed optical fibre will be available for more than 150,000 gram panchayats