Just two days to go before Apple's annual mega launch event. The rumours, leaks and speculation will all be put to rest on 7 September as the tech giant lifts the lid on the iPhone 7 and its other offerings.
The event is scheduled to take place at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco on Wednesday. The event will start at 10.30pm IST.
Apple has been struggling to keep all details about its upcoming products under wraps. However, there have been a number of sneak peeks and leaks about the upcoming devices, especially the iPhone 7.
What to expect
Apple CEO Tim Cook will launch the iPhone 7 along with other devices, reported to be an iPhone 7 Plus and an Apple Watch 2.
There are rumours that the iPhone 7 will look a lot like its predecessor, the iPhone 6S and the iPhone 6S Plus. A bigger change in design is expected in 2017.
The iPhone 7 launch comes at a time when Apple is struggling with falling iPhone sales in major markets. The Apple iPhone 6S and 6S Plus did not yield expected results.
According to a report by Strategy Analytics, Apple iPhone shipments fell by 35% annually at 0.8 smartphones in India in the second quarter of 2016.
iPhone 7 and iPhone7 Plus
- The designs of the upcoming iPhones will be similar to those of its predecessors. Apple may drop the 16Gb variant of the iPhones in the upcoming devices. The gadgets are expected to be in the 32GB, 128GB and 256 GB.
- The Apple iPhone 7 32GB is expected to cost Rs 53,000, while the 128GB and 256 GB are expected to cost Rs 61,200 and Rs 71,250, respectively. The 32GB, 128GB and 256GB versions of the iPhone 7 Plus are expected to cost Rs 61,200, Rs 69,200 and Rs 79,300 respectively.
- It is also almost certain that Apple may drop the port on its next models and use the space for sleeker design. Users may have to use lightning ports to attach earphones or use a Bluetooth pair.
- Apple may also ditch the Home button in favour of the touch-sensitive pad. According to rumours, Apple may remove two innermost antenna lines that run across the back of the current iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.
- A significant camera upgrade is also expected. The iPhone 7 is expected to bear a 12 megapixel rear camera and a 5 megapixel front snapper. DSLR-quality photos could be expected from the upcoming devices.
- Both the models will be powered by the iOS 10 OS version.
Apple Watch 2
Apple is also expected to launch the second generation of the Apple Watch. The upgraded watch is said to have a GPS connectivity, a faster processor and a better battery.
While the Watch 2 may not have major cosmetic changes, it is expected to pack faster internals. Some tech bloggers have speculated that the Apple Watch 2 may come equipped with a camera.
While excitement peaks ahead of the event and rumours swirl, one thing is for sure that Apple will release the iOS 10 - as announced at WWDC 2016 in San Francisco on 13 June 2016.