Rajinikanth-starrer Kabali is touted to be the most-awaited film of the year. The film, which features Rajnikanth playing an ageing don, hits the screens on 22 July. However, the Thalaiva film has already set a number of records before its official theatrical release. Did you know that the film has already recovered its budget? Here are 10 other astonishing records that Kabali has already broken:
1) Kabali will subsequently release across over 12,000 screens - a feat no Indian film has ever achieved.
2) Kabali will be the first Indian film to release simultaneously in Malay. Over 40% of the film was shot in Malaysia and the Thalaiva-starrer also features many Malaysian actors. What's more, the film will simultaneously release in Tamil, Telugu, Hindi and Mandarin as well.
3) The teaser of Kabali took social media by storm when it was unveiled. The trailer has over25 million YouTube views - the first trailer of an Asian film to have such a jaw-dropping number of views. The teaser also became the first to cross 10 million views in four days and the first Indian film teaser to cross 20 million views on YouTube.
4) In a first in the history of film promotions, Air Asia - Kabali's official airline partner - introduced a special flight painted with Kabali posters featuring Rajinikanth. The special Kabaliflight will depart from Bengaluru to catch the first day first show in Chennai on 22 July.
5) The budget of Kabali is Rs 110 crore. But the Rajinikanth-starrer has already raked in Rs 223 crore for its producer, Kalaipuli S Thanu, thanks to the fantastic response to theatrical rights. With these figures, Kabali has also breached Baahubali's pre-release business of Rs 162 crore.
6) The Kerala theatrical rights of the Rajinikanth-starrer have been sold for a record sum of Rs 7.50 crore. The interesting bit is that the rights for Kerala were acquired by Malayalam superstar Mohanlal. The actor brought the rights under his home banner, Max Lab Cinemas And Entertainments, along with his producer-friend Antony Perumbavoor's Aashirvad Cinemas.
7) The Rajinikanth-starrer will release on a record-breaking 306 screens across Kerala - thereby beating the previous record of 225 screens for Shankar - Vikram's I. Kabali will also have as many as eight shows in most of the screens in Kerala, which means that the opening day numbers of Kabali are sure to cross the all-time highest collection of Rs 3.30 crore set by Ilayathalapathy'sTheri in the state.
8) Kabali will be the first Indian film to be screened at Le Grand Rex theater in Paris, one of the biggest silver screen theaters in Europe with more than 2,500 seats. Kabali is also the first South Indian film to release in Hawaii, USA.
9) The music album of Kabali is already the best-selling album on iTunes India, Singapore, Malaysia, Armenia and Sri Lanka. The super hit song Neruppu Da became an instant hit and topped charts in India, Singapore, Malaysia and Sri Lanka.
10) Kabali has broken all the advance booking records in India. Be it the cinemas of Tamil Nadu, Kerala or Karnataka, all shows of the Thalaiva-starrer have been sold out through the opening weekend.