Mohanlal swept the Kerala Box Office off its feat with Priyadarshan directorial Oppam, a revenge thriller of a visually-impaired person. The film, directed by Priyadarshan and written by Govind Vijayan, is bankrolled by Mohanlal's friend Antony Perumbavoor under the banner of Aashirvad Cinemas. The production house also backed the hugely-successful Drishyam.
Oppam was released on the screens a year ago on 8 September 2016 on the auspicious occasion of Onam and turned out to be one of the best Malayalam thrillers to come out in recent times.
Here are a few interesting facts about the Mohanlal - Priyadarshan blockbuster:
1) Oppam was the 40th association of Mohanlal and Priyadarshan duo, out of which most of the movies have been huge hits at the Box Office. In fact most of their blockbusters were remade in Bollywood with top Bollywood stars including Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan and Akshaye Khanna. Bollywood films like Garam Masala, Bhagam Bhaag, Kyonki, Khatta Meetha were the remakes of Mohanlal - Priyadarshan blockbusters.
2) Oppam is the third highest grosser of Malayalam film history. At the Kerala Box Office, the film had minted Rs. 44 crore to do so. However, the worldwide collections of Oppam is nearly 77 crore and is only next to Pulimurugan.
3) Oppam was Lalettan's first Malayalam release of 2016 and is the second blockbuster of the superstar among the 5 straight blockbusters with in 5 months. His Telugu film Janatha Garage, which had released one week before Oppam and the other 3 Mohanlal releases post Oppam, Pulimurugan, Manyam Puli and Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol too bagged the blockbuster status.
4) Oppam is touted to be the biggest Onam blockbuster in the history of Malayalam cinema. Generally, Onam releases will slow down after the Onam holiday period, but in the case of Oppam, it ran over exceptionally well in its entire theatrical run. The first one-month theatrical run has worked wonders for the makers to become the biggest Onam blockbuster ever. Oppam has ran over more than 150 days as well at the Kerala Box Office.
5) Oppam is the fifth Malayalam film to cross the coveted Rs. 40 crore mark in Kerala. Interestingly, out of the 5 biggest Malayalam grossers, Mohanlal tops the first three spots with Pulimurugan, Drishyam and Oppam. He is also the only Indian actor to have top three industry hits.
6) Oppam marks the 21st collaboration between Mohanlal and Antony Perumbavoor. The actor-producer duo earlier delivered many blockbuster films including Narasimham, Ravanaprabhu, Naran, Spirit and Drishyam. Oppam also starred Antony Perumbavoor in a cameo role.
7) While Bollywood films struggle to complete 50 theatrical days across the cinemas of Mumbai, Oppam had a dream 12-week run in the cinemas across Mumbai. The thriller, which had released with English subtitles in non-Kerala states was a super hit at Mumbai and Chennai as well.
8) The demand for Oppam is so huge that the Telugu dubbed version of the film hit the screens across the Telugu states. The film, titled Kanupapa, which hit the screens on 3 February 2017 too went on to become a Box Office success as well.
9) Oppam marked the debut of four music composers, Jim Jacob, Eldhose, Biby and Justine of the music band, 4 Musics. The songs from the album, Chinnamma Adi, and Minungum Minnaminunge turned out to be top two chartbusters of 2016.
10) Oppam also marks the Malayalam cinema comeback of popular actress Vimala Raman after a gap of eight years. The actress was last seen in the 2008 film College Kumaran, which also starred Mohanlal. The film also marked the Malayalam debut of Bollywood actress Devshi Khanduri.
Oppam also starred Nedumudi Venu, Samuthirakani, Anusree, Kalabhavan Shajon, Chemban Vinod Jose, Baby Meenakshi and Sona Heiden.