Keenan Santos, 24 and Reuben Fernandez,29, who were just trying to protect their women friends from being molested by a group of men, were stabbed to death outside an eatery at Mumbai's Amboli on 20 October, 2011. All four accused have been pronounced guilty of murder by Mumbai sessions court on Thursday.
Here is time-line of the case that sent shock-waves around the country:
-On 20 October, Keenan and Reuben tried to protect their female friends from a group of men. This led to them being repeatedly stabbed.
- Keenan died on the same day, while Reuben succumbed to his injuries 10 days later, on October 31.
- The four accused - Jitendra Rana, Sunil Bodh, Satish Dulhaj and Dipak Tival - were arrested a day after the incident.
- On 9 December, 2011, Keenan and Reuben were posthumously honoured with the Godfrey Phillips Bravery Zone Award.
- The police filed a 416-page chargesheet before the Andheri metropolitan magistrate court in January.
- On 8 February, the murder trial was shifted to the Fast Track Court at Sewree. Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam took it up.
- In October, the court framed charges against the accused, including murder, conspiracy and molestation
- The trial moved to Special Women's Court.
On 5 May, the court found the accused guilty of murder and sentenced them to life.