Home » national news » Re-open schools, colleges: Aggrieved students stage protest outside Mehbooba Mufti's residence

Re-open schools, colleges: Aggrieved students stage protest outside Mehbooba Mufti's residence

News Agencies | Updated on: 10 February 2017, 1:45 IST

On 17 October, as the unrest that has been brewing in Kashmir entered its 101st day, aggrieved students gathered outside Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti's residence demanding that schools and colleges be reopened.

"We want to study. Our exams are coming. We just want this 'Hartal' to end," said Humaira, a college student.

"We have not studied for several days, what we will do, we have not even completed our syllabus yet," said Afsha, another student.

The protesting students later met the Chief Minister and urged her to make proper arrangements for students who would be facing their final examinations.

Speaking to ANI, Mufti said, "I am quite happy that these students have put forth their concerns to me. Our government's main focus has been the welfare of children and women; we will definitely make proper arrangements. We will also provide tuitions for them so that they don't find any difficulty in appearing for exams. We are also planning to make question papers easy for these students."

She also said the 'Scooty Scheme', announced by the state government to provide subsidised vehicle to students who cannot afford transportation, would be provided to the students as early as possible.

She also assured the students that security forces manning the schools would be re-deployed once the situation comes under control in the Valley.

The unrest began a day after Wani was killed in an encounter in south Kashmir on 8 July.

The following clashes between security forces and locals have left 84 people, including two police, dead and several thousand injured.

The Valley also witnessed continuous shutdown for the past 100 days announced by separatists who are spearheading the agitation.

Authorities also imposed curfew and restrictions on most of these 100 days, throwing normal life out of gear with mobile Internet services continued to remain suspended across Kashmir.


First published: 17 October 2016, 4:21 IST