Speed News Desk | Updated on: 10 August 2015, 10:58 IST
Delhi Police personnel on 10 August lathicharged members of a 'tractor march', which was being led by former Aam Aadmi Party leader Yogendra Yadav.
What was the protest about?
- It was against the Centre's proposed amendments to the Land Acquisition Bill in the heart of Delhi on 9 August night.
- The protesters had been part of a 'tractor march', organised by the newly formed Swaraj Abhiyan, against the contentious land acquisition bill, which began in Punjab on 2 August. Police had prevented the tractors from proceeding into the city at the Kapsahera border, after which the protesters had marched towards Jantar Mantar.
- The protesters had wanted to hold a demonstration at Jantar Mantar on 10 August morning and they had also expressed their intention of installing a symbol of protest outside the Prime Minister Narendra Modi's residence, which they want to call a farmer's memorial.
What are the protesters claiming?
- The protesters claim that they had sent an intimation to Delhi Police about the march, and that they had been lathicharged on reaching Jantar Mantar.
- Seven people were injured and taken to the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital for medical treatment.