Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Pradhanmantri Grameen Awas Yojna (PMGAY) in Agra on 20 November. He also addressed a public rally.
PMGAY is aimed at providing houses to the rural poor. The ambitious scheme hopes to provide Below Poverty Line families with about three crore new housing units across India by 2022.
UP: PM Narendra Modi at the launch of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana in Agra pic.twitter.com/giGBmITW04— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) November 20, 2016
During his address, PM Modi expressed his grief over the Patna-Indore Express tragedy - which claimed the lives of over 100 people earlier in the day.
"My thoughts are with the bereaved families. I wish those injured a speedy recovery." "The Centre will look into this matter," he said.
He also spoke at length about the housing scheme, while also lauding his government's demonetisation scheme.
Excerpts from his speech:
- "We want every Indian to have a house by 2022 when India celebrates 75 years since attaining freedom".
- "Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana ke tehet jald hi har garib ghar me gas connection aur stove hoga" (Under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, every household will have a gas connection and a stove).
- "This government is dedicated to the poor, Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana was started so that the poor can have a bank account".
This Government is dedicated to the poor, Pradhan Mantri Jan dhan Yojana was started so that the poor can have a bank account: PM Modi pic.twitter.com/Hij3OrBURp— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) November 20, 2016
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana ke tehet jald hi har garib ghar me gas connection aur stove hoga: PM Modi pic.twitter.com/KV8xNHpfJn— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) November 20, 2016
On demonetisation and the war against black money
- "The initiative of demonetisation was highly appreciated by poor people, despite facing difficulties they supported us," said PM Modi.
- "I had said that inconvenience is going to happen, but I want to commend the people who,despite all that, are supporting.
- Fake currency worth crores have been funnelled into the country. With this drugs and terrorism has flourished.
- "Corrupt people are now approaching those with bank accounts under Jan Dhan Yojna to convert their black money. Please ignore them".
- "The country knows whose money is invested in chitfund and they are the most affected by it".
- "I can assure you all that your sacrifice won't go in vain," he said.
- "Rs 500/1000 notes band karne se aap sabko takleef hui, lekin kuch logon ki toh saari zindagi tabaah ho jaaye, aisa dand diya hai" (You all have suffered because of the demonetisation of the Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes, but this move will ruin the lives of the corrupt).
In the previous UP Assembly elections, the BSP took 6 out of 9 seats in Agra. The BJP bagged two and the Samajwadi Party took 1.