Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday expressed grief over the Mumbai's Bhendi Bazaar building collapse and also condoled the death of people in the tragic incident.
"Collapse of building in Mumbai is saddening. My condolences to families of those who lost their lives & prayers with the injured," the Prime Minister said in a tweet.
Collapse of a building in Mumbai is saddening. My condolences to the families of those who lost their lives & prayers with the injured: PM— PMO India (@PMOIndia) August 31, 2017
A three-storey building collapsed on Thursday in Mumbai's Bhindi Bazaar area claiming 19 lives.
Earlier in the day, Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis announced an ex-gratia of Rs. 5 lakh for the kin of those who died in building collapse.
Taking stock of the situation the Chief Minister also assured that action would be taken in case of any negligence in the incident.
The Chief Minister visited the incident spot and also ordered a detailed enquiry into the matter.
"Action will be taken in case of any negligence. I am personally monitoring the situation," Fadnavis told the media here.
The Chief Minister also directed the Bombay Municipal Corporation (BMC) Commissioner to focus on immediate medical assistance to the injured persons.
At least 10 people have been injured after Husaini building, located near J.J. junction in the Pakmodia Street of Mumbai's Dongri area, collapsed at around 3:30 pm.
The injured people have been admitted to the J. J. hospital for the medical treatment.
As of now 30 people have been rescued from the debris and the rescue operation is still underway.
The rescue operation is being carried out by the police team, a team of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), the fire brigade and ambulances.