While BJP is concreting a defence against the presumptive attacks from Congress in the Parliamentary Monsoon Session, there might be a probability of the latter landing into troubles because of some fresh controversies.
Lets have a look at the recent rows which might prove to be spoilers for Congress and its former ally NCP as the opposition mounts attacks against the NDA regime.
1. The Louis Berger controversy
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar have hinted that Congress leader Digambar Kamat and Churchill Alemao could be involved in the alleged Louis Berger bribery case. The former are now demanding a CBI probe into the case.
- The US Department of Justice recently disclosed that construction management firm Louis Berger had bribed Indian officials, including a minister, with US $976,630 for a major project in Goa. However, no names were mentioned.
- While Kamat was the Chief Minister of Goa when the contracts were awarded, Alemao was Public Works Department (PWD) minister. Parrikar and Parsekar have demanded that the two leaders should disclose the identity of the Minister who was involved.
2. Ramesh Kadam and the Rs 350 crore scam
- Ramesh Kadam, an MLA from the NCP has been booked in a Rs 350 crore scam along with a few others.
- An FIR has been registered against Kadam at the Dahisar Police station for allegedly misappropriating crores of rupees of the Annabhau Sathe Vikas Mahamandal in the process of loan disbursement. The loans were meant for needy people.
- The MLA and few others have been booked under the cheating sections of the IPC and relevant sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act.