Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on 27 November, thanked citizens and banks across the nation for accepting demonetisation and braving the following inconsequences, while accusing the opposition in a veiled attack, of misleading the nation over the scheme.
The Prime Minister, in the 26th edition of his Mann ki Baat address, also spoke on the burning issues of Kashmir unrest and hailed the valour of the Indian Armed Forces.
Here are the top quotes from his address:
1. Every jawan was touched by the unique and novel way the entire nation dedicated this Diwali to the Indian Armed Forces.
2. Village heads from Kashmir visited me earlier to discuss the issue of development in their respective villages, but I conveyed them to turn their focus on the schools being burnt in the Valley and save the bright future of our children.
3. I received overwhelming requests from across the nation to explain my decision behind scrapping Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 notes.
4. The moment I had announced demonetisation, I had warned that this was not an easy step and people will be inconvenienced.
5. The corrupt are incorrigible and are still looking for unfair means to stock black money. But what is saddening is that they are doing so by exploiting the poor.
6. Despite demonetisation, the sowing of crops have soared and I want to thank our hardworking farmers for this.
7. I want to hail our Banking system for their tireless service of the people in the present situation.
8. It is a matter of great happiness and pride for me that the nation has welcomed demonetisation.
9. This major decision of mine is especially for the betterment of the poor, farmers, and the labourers.
10. The youth are the agents of change and I appeal to them to carry forward this scheme with zeal and spread the message of embracing digital banking.
11. Common man will be trouble free if they are made aware of the digital financial transaction options, the youth can do this quickly.
12. The poor have started using Rupay Card, which was not used that frequently before the 8 November decision and since then, nearly 300% development has happened.
13. Amitabh Bachchan wrote to me, "Swachh tan, swachh mann, Swachh Bharat, mera parichay."