The controversy over DMK chief and former CM Tamil Nadu M. Karunanidhi buried on Marina Beach has ended with the decision of the Madras High Court. The DMK's petition was heard at midnight in the Madras High Court. Although the court resumed the case at 8 a.m and after the morning hearing, the DMK got permission to bury Karunanidhi at Marine Beach.
Earlier the Tamil Nadu government had refused to give place to Marina Beach. The government had ordered to bury Karunanidhi near the place of former chief minister C. Rajagopalachari and near Kamaraj's monuments. The DMK was not ready for this and the dispute began.
Here are 10 major points on the controversy over burial of Karunanidhi at Marina beach:
1. Tamil Nadu's five times CM, M Karunanidhi was admitted to Kauvery Hospital in Chennai on July 28 after suffering poor health. He died on Tuesday evening at 06.10 pm. In Tamil Nadu politics, he has been living for six decades. Besides MG Ramachandran and Jayalalitha, she was the only leader who made his place in every section of the state.
2. After Karunanidhi's demise, the DMK is saying that Karunanidhi mortal remains should get the exemption to bury the marine beach. The party says that we are not demanding urgent memorial. We are just want that Karunanidhi be buried near his mentor, Ananadurai.
3. Earlier yesterday the state government had refused to DMK demand to buried Karunanidhi at Marina Beach. The government had said that there are many cases in the Madras High Court and there are legal constraints for Marina Beach. The dispute started after the government refused to give land on behalf of the government. DMK approached Madra High Court.
4. The state government had ordered to bury Karunanidhi near Gandhi Mandapam, about eight kilometers from Marina Beach to bury Karunanidhi. There is also the former Chief Minister C. Rajagopalachari and the memorial of Kamaraj. DMK has not agreed to the proposal of Tamil Nadu Government.
5. On Marine Beach, so far only two Chief Ministers have got place to bury. This includes former Chief Minister CN Annadurai and MG Ramachandran. CN Annadurai had established the DMK. While MG Ramachandran is the founder of AIADMK.
6. After Jayalalitha's death in 2016, her funeral was done on Marina Beach. Jayalalitha's funeral was done in the memorial of her master MG Ramachandran, who was already there.
7. The Madras High Court asked the state government during the hearing that if they were ready for it? The court also said that in this case, delay of one minute can cause problems for the state government. This is because the Tamil Nadu government has got displeasure in their fans and party workers since they refuse to give Karunanidhi a place to bury the marina beach.
8. Several opposition leaders and actors, including Rahul Gandhi, Sitaram Yechury, D Raja, Rajinikanth, Farooq Abdullah, have endorsed DMK's demand. Whereas the government was not ready to give place to Marina Karunanidhi on the beach because he was not the current chief minister of the state.
09. The Bench of two judges headed by HL Gupta Ramesh, acting Chief Justice of the Madras High Court, heard the debate. After listening to the debate, the judge's bench has heard the final verdict. The High Court has allowed M Karunanidhi to be buried on Marina Beach.